Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: High school grad can't read cursive.

That was interesting background Charlie. Thanks for providing it!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Here's an old letter, written by John Wesley. If you can read this, you can read cursive:
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a tough one

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    That's a tough one
    It is difficult reading with your neck bent like that.

Plus the contrast is low and it looks like both sides of the paper was used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I learnt cursive back in the school and it has been the only way I write. I have no trouble reading cursive, though extra ornamental writing will slow me down. I love fountain pens, so I find opportunities to write a few sentences everyday.

I don't see writing to be a skill that my kid will use (7 years old) much in his life. Probably next to next generation, writing will become similar to working by hand tools.

To be fair, the way Natural Language Processing is developing, I don't see typing to last another 25 years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post

To be fair, the way Natural Language Processing is developing, I don't see typing to last another 25 years as well.
    I agree with that, Anuj. Both Professor Dr. SWMBO and I are using voice processing more and more every day for communication. It's become pretty darn accurate, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with that, Anuj. Both Professor Dr. SWMBO and I are using voice processing more and more every day for communication. It's become pretty darn accurate, too.
    Please talk to Apple. The quality of their voice mail transcription service (on a Iphone 11) is horrendous.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Turkovich View Post
    Please talk to Apple. The quality of their voice mail transcription service (on a Iphone 11) is horrendous.
    I get so few calls and voicemail messages, that I don't notice issues. With Siri, I rarely have a mis-cue with it and when I do, the wacky nature of the English language is partially to blame.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Here's an old letter, written by John Wesley. If you can read this, you can read cursive:
    I have not heard anything concerning McGarratt for a long season. You send me welcome news concerning him: I am glad to hear, that his Love is not grown cold. It is well, that you "agree to disagree", is your (?) and concerning Public Affairs. There is no end of Disputing about these matters. Let every^one enjoy his own persuasion. Let us have God to govern the world: And he will be sure to do all things well. And all will work together for his Glory, & for the good of the many for him.
    When the Government of America is (salted?), I believe some of our Brothers will be ready to come over. I cannot advise them to do it yet. First let us see, how Providence opens itself. And I am the (last?) in part, because I am persuaded Bro: (?) os raired up, to preserve order among you, & to do just what I would do myself, (?) pleased God to bring me to America. Get on, in the name of thy Lord & in the power of his might! I am your (Affirminate?) Brother JWesley

That IS a tuffy -but I can't imagine looking at it as if was no clearer than Hebrew to me...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Most is readable, with effort. Some words are pretty difficult, best I can do is guess based on sentence.

This reminds me of my Dad's handwriting. He is a doctor. It's right on the edge of waves and words. He claims his handwriting is better than other doctors.

Horrifying, but not surprising, given the mediocre standards of education that prevail in our culture--

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    Horrifying, but not surprising, given the mediocre standards of education that prevail in our culture--
    Oh, please.

Kids today are more, not less competent.

They probably are. I never sell youth short; it's what they're exposed to that I was talking about.

Doctor's handwriting is part of the reason that most prescriptions are either printed on a printer or simply sent electronically to the pharmacy of your choice. The days of a doctor pulling a prescription pad and filling it out by hand are mostly gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Oh, please.

Kids today are more, not less competent.

Kids today more competent? Yes, I'll agree...

More work ethic? mmm, not so much. Every sole proprietor shop owner I know can't keep an employee for more than a few days or weeks because they want to pick their own days off, can't be bothered to come in before 11am, give wares away to their friends, steal from them or just plain quit because working eats into their free time. "Internet Sensation" seems to be the most coveted job title these days...

Just some of my life observations
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle