Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite 10" or 12" combination blade?

What's your favorite 10" or 12" combination blade?

I'll be adding a good combination blade to my Ridgid TS 3660 contractor's saw pretty soon & I'd like to get an idea of what everybody's favorite one is.

My older combo blades are beginning to show their age & I'll probably send them off to get sharpened.

While they are out, I'd like to have a good blade to work with.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Ridge Carbide TS2000 “super blade”
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Forrest WW-II. For 12", I used the 48T version. For 10", I used the 40T version.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Forrest WW-II. For 12", I used the 48T version. For 10", I used the 40T version.
    Same here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Same here.
    And I agree,

I've been using Ridge Carbide TS2000 blades happily for many years. Highly recommend them. My first table saw was a Ridgid TS3612 and I ran the full kerf version of the Ridge Carbide TS2000 the whole time I owned it without any issues.

I use the Forrest WWII too. But I only have a 10" saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I use the Forrest WWII too. But I only have a 10" saw.
    Same. I've had two of them for over 20 years. I send them back to Forrest for a resharpening every 3 or 4 years. By having the second, I'm not shut down while it is being sharpened.

It's just one of those things I don't have to think about.

Freud Fusion. Sharp smoth and long lasting. They are less expensive than some of the others.
    Charlie Jones

12" Tenryu gold medal.

I have a CMT 10" 50 tooth ATB blade that's not a thin kerf nor a thick kerf (IMO). I got it for my DeWalt jobsite saw which I didn't think would have the power for a full kerf but I also didn't like the idea of a thin kerf either. I think it's .1" thick. Being on that saw it's done everything from ripping to cutting plywood. I now use it on my PM66 and I'm very impressed with it. You can feel a slight resistance when ripping. Some of that is probably the blade starting to dull but I think it's more due to the high tooth count. But it doesn't burn the wood while ripping and the crosscuts are great. My plan is to replace it with a WWII 48t 10" blade when I get ready to send the CMT out to get sharpened but that still seems a ways off.

Whatever the next sharp one is on the stack. I've bought so many different ones over the years, to try, when there was a deal, or when I needed one. The come back from the sharpener, and go on the holder, which separates them.

I'm sure I fully intended to compare different ones, but never got around to it.

A sharp one works fine.

Freud Fusion blades are great. However, I have used the Sawstop blade that came with my saw since I bought it. The Sawstop blades are less expensive than Freuds' and I don't find a significant improvement with the Freud blades over the Sawstop blades. I'm sure there will be disagreement concerning this, but the results I get with the Sawstop blade are great. There are a usually a couple of minor saw marks when ripping which are removed by one pass over the jointer taking off less than 1/32" but, since I would never glue up or use a board without running it over the jointer, the result is really no worse than I get with almost any other blade. Given the cost of Forrest and other premium blades, I'll confess I have never tried them but, with the results I gottene from Freud and the Sawstop blade, I have never felt the need to spend at least twice as much money on one of the premium blades.

I have and like my thin kerf Freud Fusion but occasionally it seems to aggrevate the grain and the cut is rough. Not sure what is happening or even that a different blade would be different. But I like it. My all time favorite is a 50 tooth with 40 ATB and 10 rakers with a flat top. I have a thin kerf Freud that will go on if I get aggrevated with the fusion. I used a full kerf Infinity version of this blade on a dresser recently and was pleasantly surprised (their ripping blade was a big disappointment). I like to use thin kerf blades on my 1.75hp PCS but in a lot of wood that isn't over 1.5 inches thick it does fine with a full kerf. Having the thin kerf on just avoids having to change out if I want to cut something thick. I have used CMT and DeWalt blades with the 50 tooth configuration I like and they work like the Infinity or Freud versions I currently have - well

I have not used a Forest blade and probably never will. I had Ridge Carbide resharpen a Freud and it came back better than new. If I wanted to spend this much on a blade I would buy a Ridge. But realistically I see no need for anything "better" than a Freud.

Freud is good , and not cheap. So you are in “high end”... POPULAR saws are high quality,low price. Our sharpener doesn’t shill for any brand ,he says they are good. And they are good.