Thread: Mesh Type Sanding Disc Recommendations

Mesh Type Sanding Disc Recommendations

I've been a long time user of Mirka Abranet sanding discs and it's about time to re-order. I've noticed there are a few other competitors and I'm curious what every one else is using and why.
    Thanks.

I tried another, much less expensive, no-name brand. Most of the abrasive fell off almost immediately, so not a bargain; that which was left included a couple boulders that left scratches. Try a small quantity before placing a large order!

I recently picked up a 10 pack of the Norton mesh discs. I've only used one of them a little, but so far so good. Too soon to tell about how well they compare to the Mirkas that I have been using.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Diablo brand works well.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Thanks for the feedback. Since there's no clear cut winner I guess I'll stick with Mirka.

Do those work with hook and loop or how do they get attached?

Blog Entries
    The 3M Cubitron product looks interesting. I am not clear as to the pad to use for optimal performance but, tests run with generic 'hard' pads were impressive; performance and cost-wise.

25-min-tests-abrasives.jpg

5-n-15-min-tests-abrasives.jpg

Snips from a review.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Since there's no clear cut winner I guess I'll stick with Mirka.
    Try the Autonet discs, grit range is a little different but they work just as well. Less expensive than Abranet too.

Thanks Peter. I think I'll give them a try. Interesting that the coarser grits are more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Try the Autonet discs, grit range is a little different but they work just as well. Less expensive than Abranet too.
    +1, I use autonet on my mirka. Good stuff!

I just noticed Mirka also had an Autonet line of mesh disks. Decisions, decisions.

i've converted over completely to cubitron. best sandpaper i've ever used.

Freud Diablo is what I use now primarily. I have some Cubitron; and it is better.

But , I loaded up on the Diablo at the depot last Xmas sale/clearance and got discs for roughly 30cents a piece. At that price it’s really hard to beat. At reg. price it’s decent , but I suspect Cubitron is cheaper per oz. of sawdust created.

Used to use Mirka , but my dealers are less convenient and the price is a lot more too.