Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax s400p (MM16) bandsaw

Minimax s400p (MM16) bandsaw

There's a local listing for this bandsaw for $3500. It's a 2015 and looks like it is in really good shape. Is this a good price for that bandsaw?

I’m not totally up to snuff on the MM changes through the years, but does it have the larger 4.8 Hp motor and the taller resaw (16”?)

That’s more than I would pay, but I tend to wait for good deals that can take months to come around so take that with a grain of salt. That’s more like a $2000-2800 saw on the used market in my book, but the used tool market right now is very strong and prices are up across the board, even for junk. I have seen the older models (with smaller motors and resaw capacity listed for under $2k and even saw a very nice older MM16 listed on my tiny local CL in the last 4-6 months for $1400. It sold within a day at that price.
    Still waters run deep.

$3,500 is way overpriced for a 6 year old MM16.

The current price for the ACM manufactured minimax s440P, which has replaced the Centauro made s400p is $5195. It does have the 4.8hp motor and 16" resaw capacity.
    $3500 is about what it sold for new in 2015, but like Phillip said, used prices are up.
    I have the s500p and could not be happier with it.

i too think that is way over priced. not uncommon to usually see them for 1500-2000 - but these days with availability problems they may go a bit higher.
    jerry
    jerry

Thanks guys. Looks like the consensus is that it is overpriced. I'll just wait and see if the seller lowers it. In the mean time, I'll continue to enjoy the Laguna 18BX that I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Simon View Post
    The current price for the ACM manufactured minimax s440P, which has replaced the Centauro made s400p is $5195. It does have the 4.8hp motor and 16" resaw capacity.
    What a markup SCM are getting . An S 440P currently retails for just under €2,500 in Italy. I think a comparable Centauro 400 HD Compact goes for just slightly over €2,000.

Why not just make an offer to the seller for a more reasonable price? I suspect others will since that's a great machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's only worth this price if they deliver wearing white gloves and fine tune it before handing you $1000.

The orig. price is immaterial except for discussion , rant , and gloat purposes.

What else with the same capability can you buy today for $3500 ?

You don’t say if it has mobility or any blades are included. The older Centaro saws are generally regarded as being better than the current ACM ones. ACM are nice saws, it’s just Centaro was regarded as a bit better.

I recently paid $1400 for a 2006 Centauro built MM16 that needed some work. The seller was looking for offers and I paid that much to keep it from getting away. First one I've seen come up around here. It probably sold for $3000 originally, but I wouldn't pay more for a newer one in the same condition.

Location, Currency?
    That would be 2450 US dollars if he is in OZ.
    Bill D

I just bought a 2003 mm16 for 2k which was a bit high but hardly used by a retiree that used it to cut blanks for turning and his grandson delivered it to me. I was actually waiting for a mm20 or 24 but nothing, I almost bought new when this one came up and i missed one from 6-12 months ago (maybe the one Kevin J bought) so I just went for it and glad I did, thing is a beast.

Also like Dave S said what else can you buy for $3500 with the build quality of the Centuro? If you can wait and have no time line then you may come across a better deal, the thing is even if you don’t bother negotiating and paid the $3500 it’s pretty risk free in my opinion, the Centuro build is solid.

My opinion: $1,500 is a fair price for that machine the OP is looking at. Just speculating but perhaps the seller has heard that Centauro got discontinued and is asking his number because of this or perhaps they’re trying to capitalize on the general lack of new machinery that we all are experiencing. Who knows? Truth be told, from a woodworking perspective, there is nothing an Centauro can do that an ACM can’t. At least at the 16” size. Agazzani had (has?) a cult-like following that never made any sense to me: Lightest in class, lowest powered motors, weird Metric mitre slot, etc. Yet, guys were willing to pay silly amounts for them. Common conversation between 2005-2016:

Customer: “I’m going to hold out for a used Agazzani”
    Me: “Why? You can have a new MM16 right now and actually be making sawdust. You may never find a used Agazzani. Is that what you want?”
    Customer: “I’ll keep holding out”.
    Me: shrug + eye roll emoji

Point being, people’s motivations as either customer or seller are sometimes not logical. I love the MM16 more than anyone but if I truly needed a bandsaw to get something done, I wouldn’t hold out for one. And I wouldn’t pay $3K for one. Just my 2-cents. Good luck to the OP in his search.

Erik
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 06-06-2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Cleaned up typos
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Location, Currency?
    That would be 2450 US dollars if he is in OZ.
    Bill D
    There's an S400 P for $3,500 (firm) listed on Phoenix AZ CL so I'd assume that's the one. Admittedly the machine looks as though it has never ever been used, no rust, comes with the mobility kit and a Resaw King blade.

Nice saw, still way too high priced though.