Thread: Keller dovetail systme mod. 1601

Keller dovetail systme mod. 1601

I am at loss in understanding the instructions.
    I followed steps 1 and two on page five.
    #3 "Place the Dovetail Template on the end of the work. Locate the slot of the Template to correspond with the locations desired for the dovetail sockets and clamp the backing block securely to the work. For precise locating: scribe the center line of the dovetail socket. Project the scribe line to the end of the work piece. Measure 5/16 (for model 1601 to one side of the center line and scribe a second mark. This mark will then line up exactly with one edge of the slot of the Template. (The slots widths are 2X the measured distances.)
    I have no idea what this means. Do I do this to the template? It should be fully understood I am greatly handicapped when it comes to understanding directions.
    Be gentle.
    Thank you

That procedure is to accurately center the template on the piece of wood. The scribing is done on the wood for the dovetails, not on the template. First scribe is the center of the width of the wood, second scribe is what you line up the template on. I added a T-Track on the template base so I could slide over a stop. Then I only have to do this once for each height of the drawer.