Thread: Any left-handed eggbeaters?

Any left-handed eggbeaters?

So as I get more into hand tools, I’m recognizing just how left hand dominant I am. Totally fine for most things. But I got an eggbeater drill based on how ridiculously satisfying it is to drill with my brace and bits. Unfortunately the eggbeater just feels terrible turning with my right hand, and awkward turning the handle backwards with my left.

Do they make left handed drills? Reverse spiral Brad point bits? Do I just have to practice with my right hand? Thanks!

As another lefty, I have often just made myself get comfortable with doing some tasks and using some tools and implements right handed. For me that's the easier solution. (And sometimes the only solution.)
    Chuck Taylor

Just a random thought, and I may be completely wrong because I don’t own and have never used one, but wouldn’t Yankee’s ratchet eggbeaters (1530, 1540, 1545, etc.) work?

Blog Entries
    Do they make left handed drills?
    Yes they do > https://www.victornet.com/searchresu...and+drill+bits

Try Google for other sources.

Left hand bits can be handy when removing a broken bolt or screw. Often the heat of drilling breaks any corrosion bonds and starts spinning the screw out.

They are usually made for drilling metal but if you can sharpen a drill you can change the angle:

Bits Sharpened for Wood.jpg

Wood twist drill cutting surfaces are usually sharpened to meet at 60º.

Metal bits will work in wood.

My set of left hand bits are limited to a few sizes purchased in an old hardware store in Portland, OR.

There are also straight fluted drill bits like used in the push drills:

Yankee Bits & Adapter.jpg

These will work in either direction.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Left hand bits can be handy when removing a broken bolt or screw. Often the heat of drilling breaks any corrosion bonds and starts spinning the screw out.
    My Brother-in-law gave me some left handed drill bits for Christmas after an old tool guy showed him some special things that he could do with them; and yes, it had to do with removing a broken bolt or screw!

Left hand twist bits aren't cheap, however. I tend to reserve mine for bolt/screw removal.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    If my memory is working, Yankee made some hand drills with selectors that could be used to reverse the chuck direction.

This could be worth pursuing for a left hand drill with right hand bits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, my Yankee eggbeater drill does turn right when the selector is in the correct position even though I’m using it left handed. The problem with using left handed bits is it might be possible to unscrew the chuck with larger bits or if it binds.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

As a left hander (and taught most things by a right handed father), I’ve been comfortable using things either way. However, I am left dominant and hold most tools with my left hand...hand saws, planes, chisels, etc. and my bench is set up left handed. The hand drill issue is interesting, as I just felt comfortable holding with my left hand and turning with my right...didn’t even realize that that was essentially right handed.

As aside, I hold a fishing rod in my left hand and reel with my right...when most right handers I know, do the opposite. Go figure.

North Brothers 1530 hand drill works right or left handed at the click of a switch

https://www.timetestedtools.net/2016...nkee-no-1530a/

North Brothers (Yankee) 1550 is a breast drill with the same left/right hand mechanism