Thread: roof mount bath vent fan.

roof mount bath vent fan.

I am looking for a source of a decent quality roof mounted vent fan for bathroom venting. I had one at the old house made by Broan/nutone. Only need around 50 cubic feet per minute. use 3-4 inch duct. Keeps the noise away from the ears. I do not want the massive 6" kitchen or attic fans that are loud, too many CFM cause wind noise as well as motor noise..
    Bill D

I bought a Broan ceiling/light/bluetooth fan, I guess it was 3 Christmas's ago-
    Has 2 nightlights--
    DSC09244.JPGDSC09245.JPG

--and 4 brightness levels on the main light--
    DSC09247.JPGDSC09246.JPG
    -the right pic is full bright- looks darker because it's SO bright the camera over-adjusted, note the round lights are much dimmer...

After I put this in, it was the first time in 50 years I could actually see to take a shower!

the fan itself is 110 cfm and not loud at all. If you play some music thru the bluetooth speaker you can't even tell the fan's even on...

Home Depot sells 'em. They don't sell this particular one any more, but they have several different models. I recommend checking them out
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Fantech.net They make all kinds of house ventilation -- mostly with remote blowers. Look for the bathroom stuff.

My issue electrician swears by Panasonic and after having used a broan and hating the noise,’we put one in.
    What a pleasure. Squirrel cage instead of a bladed fan. Quiet and efficient. I’d get another in a heartbeat.

I replaced my ancient Belltone fans with Panasonic "Whisper Value" fv-0510vs1.

They run off an integral battery (hard wired to AC house current) and have two speed settings.

They have two other key features:
    The housing and internals separate with three screws.

This means the fitting can be done with only the sheet metal case, making for easy modifications.

They have an oval outlet port, for a lower profile.

My attic is built with trusses and the only access is a small hatch in a closet. So I am trying to avoid fans like the panasonic that have to be mounted from inside the attic. The one I mentioned you fish the intake duct and power wire down to the hole in the ceiling then mount the works topside. The wiring is done above the roof. If the motor need replacing it is pulled and replaced from above as well.
    Bill D

Any bathroom fan can be roof vented, you just need to install a roof-type vent cap on the roof with appropriate flashing and run a 4" pipe to it.

Oops just comprehended your last post. Panasonic certainly makes fans that can be mounted from below, I did that recently in my son's house where there was no overhead clearance. In any event you need to be able to attach the vent pipe at both ends, I suppose that's possible with flex pipe and some extra length. I'd just make a big enough hole in the ceiling to let you work comfortably and then patch it at the end. I'm not a fan of flex pipe.

If you want the fan outside then just get a roof mount exhaust fan, eg https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-...saAkyeEALw_wcB and many others.

I don't remember the brand, but I installed one - an expensive one - and I can hardly hear it running. I guess that's good and bad. The old one sounded like an airplane taking off and dropping parts on the runway.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you want the fan outside then just get a roof mount exhaust fan, eg https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-...saAkyeEALw_wcB and many others.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. very much what I want but only need around 50cfm not 375. I only have a 3"duct. choking it down from 6" might make it howl and whistle.
    Bill D

FWIW-

our Broan is a squirrel cage blower, it replaced a 55 year old blade type fan, and I installed from the bathroom, didn't need to get up into the attic. Had to fudge on the mounting a bit- like screwing the case to the truss a little different than Broan had in mind. I believe it's vent is 3" but may be 4"-- all I did was add a hard elbow to it and it just vents into the attic (which is all the old one did)

>edit< - I take it back, I just remembered I DID have to get into the attic to feed the new wiring to it...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 06-03-2021 at 2:51 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes, sorry, I just looked for an example, not an exact product. Most roof mounts are probably going to be higher cfm. This one is about as small as I've seen: https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/4...v-1-ph-117-cfm. You could add a speed control to a larger fan to throttle it down.

Personally I'd use one of the very quiet Panasonic fans. Assuming that you could drop the exhaust pipe close enough to reach it, and already have power to the location or can also drop it down from above through the hole you're installing the fan in you can certainly install it without getting into the attic. They fit between the joists and can be screwed in place from below . They take a relatively large opening, so that will help in being able to fish you pipe and wires. The Panasonics are very nice for those of us who hate fan noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If you want the fan outside then just get a roof mount exhaust fan, eg https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-...saAkyeEALw_wcB and many others.
    Thanks for the link. very much what I want but only need around 50cfm not 375. I only have a 3"duct. choking it down from 6" might make it howl and whistle.
    Bill D[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries
    I like a bath fan to make some noise. Helps drown out the "thunder".

I suppose I could put a scr speed control on the fan I have and dial down the airflow to a comfortable level. I think I can control the rpm down since it has no starting switch. I did that on my whole house fan at the other house.
    Bill D