Thread: Enduro-var II

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Enduro-var II

I ran out of original Enduro-Var satin as I am nearing the end of my office built-ins project. I know, bad planning on my part, but who knew GF was going to reformulate it.

I picked up a gallon of Enduro-var II Satin

First impressions:

EV1 in the can looked like skim milk with an amberish hue, but it was thicker than skim milk; more like cream, with a bit of an oily sheen.
    EV2 in the can is whole milk white, with very little tint to it. To me it looks just like whole milk. It is noticeably thinner than EV1. I didn't measure with a ford cup, but it's a lot thinner. No noticeable oily sheen. Bit stronger odor than EVI. Had to stir it a lot longer to mix in the settled flateners.

I've been tinting the EV with transtint brown mahogany for the first two coats. The TT never dissolved/dispersed well in EV1; despite my best efforts there were always clumps of dye left in the strainer when I strained it after tinting. I was using about 3 drops of TT to each ounce of EV1. It turned it a very dark brown, like good dark chocolate.

The TT dissolves even less well in EVII; a lot more clumps on the strainer. And the resulting color is more like light milk chocolate.

I am now doing new sample boards to see what adjustments I have to make to get similar results to what I was getting with EVI. When brushing EVII on test boards, the lower viscosity is really noticeable; it drips off the brush easily compared to EV1. My sense it that it dries a little slower than EV1, but it's just an impression. It seems to level as well as EVI did. No way to judge durability at this stage.

So just a heads up to Enduro-var fans; you may have to adjust your finishing schedule with EVII.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 06-03-2021 at 9:17 AM.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--