Thread: Wood art - "inlay"

Blog Entries

Wood art - "inlay"

Hi,

Following the link here. I don't see any nails. Do you think they are using T&G? I'm assuming they must be... wondered what you all thought / if anyone on here has done something similar to this. I suppose this is similar to herringbone. A quick look at youtube and I see a lot of people gluing wide boards down to a substrate. No thanks.

I can think of two ways of doing this (assuming no veneer):

1. T&G (like flooring)
    2. Gluing the boards along their edges with no substrate. Later attaching to a substrate using hardware like normal table tops.

Also, I found this video and wasn't sure what to think. He glues the breadboard ends, but he's concerned about expansion down the middle of the table? I'm totally lost on that one. Video Am I missing something?

Cheers,

I'm thinking that is intarsia, and the pieces are glued to a plywood substrate. Since I don't actually do any of it myself, I could be mistaken.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I'm thinking that is intarsia, and the pieces are glued to a plywood substrate. Since I don't actually do any of it myself, I could be mistaken.
    That's probably the way I'd do it. Hefty price on that piece.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

From the photos, I'm guessing that the inserts are probably glued the the hardboard backing shown in the last photo.
    David

Blog Entries
    And the piece won't destroy itself?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    And the piece won't destroy itself?
    I think you could use construction glue down the center of each piece to allow for expansion in both directions. The pieces themselves are maybe 3" wide so seasonal expansion might be a 1/32". If the pieces are T&G, that will be easily accomodated.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Hey, that's in my backyard might have to steal, err borrow, that idea using some weathered cedar fence boards I recently saved. I think if they are cut thin say less than 3/8" and glued to a stable substrate it should be stable. Any more suggestions on best way to do it?

Blog Entries
    I see this style of art all over. It's not that unique. Glad this person / team can make some money on it. Looks like I'll get the chance to some inlay work for a bar on their wall and I'm trying to figure out how best to go about it.

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking of using a stable substrate and then:
    1. CNC'ing the shapes I want into the substrate (CNC'ing the grooves between the 'pieces')
    2. Dying the grooves black
    3. veneering the wood I want onto each piece using a vacuum table.
    4. Finish coat the entire thing

Thoughts?

I'd like to use a local artist (https://www.instagram.com/ericamlyon/) for the layout. To go CNC, I need to figure out a way to turn art into .IGES / .DWG / etc. I'm calling a CNC company that I trust. I think they'll be able to convert an actual image to CNC.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 06-03-2021 at 3:54 PM.

Are you trying to make something similar to your first link? If so, I think your method is overkill. The linked art is more of a rustic style with simple shapes easily cut on a table saw and little or no finish.

Blog Entries
    No. It will be higher quality than that. And cooler.
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 06-03-2021 at 4:03 PM.

Looking forward to seeing what you make.