Thread: Stolen sawmill

Stolen sawmill

869FADF3-1630-42FB-ACAC-8FB4DEC1921C.jpgI had my sawmill stolen within the last 3 weeks from around the Ardmore Tenn area. Approx 3 miles off I-65 . This was a custom bandsaw style mill that I built myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to figure out how to post pictures to this post but please visit my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bruce.hill.1485537 Thanks for your help ( keep in mind pictures were from when I finished it and coulf of been repainted by now). Please share this on Facebook

sawmill_stolen.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 06-02-2021 at 9:19 AM. Reason: rotated photo

Huge bummer.

I assume you reported it to the police.
    Might keep an eye on Craigslist, not only for a sawmill for sale but for someone advertising lumber or sawing services. Also post this in the Forestry Forum and on WoodWeb.

PS, the photo you posted here is OK but came out sideways so I rotated it.
    You probably can't see the photos as photo viewing here requires a trivial contribution: https://sawmillcreek.org/payments.php

JKJ

Really sorry to hear that Bruce, and hope you are able to find the mill and those responsible are prosecuted. I worry about mine being stolen when I leave it a jobsite. I put a hitch lock on it and put a chain through the wheels but anyone with a battery powered grinder could deal with those in 5 minutes or less. I haven't resorted to taking the wheels off yet; maybe I should after reading your story.

John

Would a couple of those anti-theft tire boots help? One of those GPS trackers construction companies put on equipment might be helpful.

I never did put wheels on my Woodmizer behind the barn so I'm thinking it would be difficult to take. I do lock up my big trailers with steel cables even though they are behind gates with video cameras, guarded by dogs, attack llamas, and guinea alarm system. But you never know the extent to which evil people without scruples will stoop.

I saw on another forums that he got the mill back. No details yet. He said there was some damage.

I hope it’s easy enough to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Would a couple of those anti-theft tire boots help? One of those GPS trackers construction companies put on equipment might be helpful.

I never did put wheels on my Woodmizer behind the barn so I'm thinking it would be difficult to take. I do lock up my big trailers with steel cables even though they are behind gates with video cameras, guarded by dogs, attack llamas, and guinea alarm system. But you never know the extent to which evil people without scruples will stoop.
    I think this is the answer. Put stickers on it saying that the equipment is gps protected, and put at least two trackers (they are cheap) on it so if they find one they'll stop looking.

A low cost alternative to commerical GPS tracking is the small battery operated tracker made by Tile, used for your keys and such. The battery last about a year and really small making it easy to hide. Website: https://www.thetileapp.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Erickson View Post
    A low cost alternative to commerical GPS tracking is the small battery operated tracker made by Tile, used for your keys and such. The battery last about a year and really small making it easy to hide. Website: https://www.thetileapp.com
    So the Tile thing communicates by BlueTooth? That is, you have to be within ten feet or so to talk to it? How's that going to help you find a stolen sawmill which may be many miles away?

Blog Entries
    It looks like it will search for it, I actually had seen the Apple product that's similar, you can use apple app to search if long distance, BUT, it would contact anyone near with an Iphone.... So if thief used an Iphone, they would get notification to their phone the item is near them... Not so good idea.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others