Thread: Another Dust Collector query

Another Dust Collector query

Hello everybody

I am putting my new shop together and figured it was time to really get this dust situation under control.

Here are the tools I have and the current dust control systems for each.

20” bandsaw and 12” jointer both connected to a Jet vortex dust collector

20” planer connected to 650 cfm portable dust collector with 30 micron bag

5hp table saw connected to 650 cfm portable dust collector with 30 micron bag

22” drum sander connected to 650 cfm portable dust collector with 30 micron bag

router table and 12” bandsaw both connected to 650 cfm portable dust collector with 30 micron bag

Wondering if I’d be better off with canister filters or cyclones? Or just upgrade bags to 5 microns?

I like having the individual dust collectors for most of the machines. Likely get one of those ceiling mounter Jet units as well.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to say this but your current system is a chip collector and not dust collector. With the type and size of the tools you have, I think you should get a 3-5 hp cyclone system. You have some nice expensive tools and poor dust collection.

Yes, it is expensive but your lungs will thank you. The system you are using especially the drum sander needs much better dust collection.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 06-02-2021 at 7:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'll fully agree with Larry. Invest in a central dust collection system with HEPA level filtration. Think of all the floor space you will save after you sell all of the portable chip collectors.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I'll fully agree with Larry. Invest in a central dust collection system with HEPA level filtration. Think of all the floor space you will save after you sell all of the portable chip collectors.

Thank you both. I had a feeling as much.

I was up till 2 in the morning last night rewarding about all of this. Woke up at 6 this morning to order a Cyclone.

I've had 3 650 CFM/ 1HP units in my time , all bought by well meaning family & friends . Not enough CFM for a cyclone to be effective . I'd upgrade also .

That's serious machinery. I'd get a 3hp cyclone for that equipment. You don't look back. If you have the ability to vent outside, I would. It saves space and hassle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Sorry to say this but your current system is a chip collector and not dust collector. With the type and size of the tools you have, I think you should get a 3-5 hp cyclone system. You have some nice expensive tools and poor dust collection.

Yes, it is expensive but your lungs will thank you. The system you are using especially the drum sander needs much better dust collection.
    Add me to the list. You need better filtration and more air volume. 30 micron filter is just a step above a window screen. I have a 5 HP collector with HEPA filtration and monitor the air with a particle counter. During most woodworking operations, the air in my shop is cleaner than in my house or outside on a calm day. It's not hard to do.

Given the climate in LA I would vent direct to outside with no filters.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Add me to the list. You need better filtration and more air volume. 30 micron filter is just a step above a window screen. I have a 5 HP collector with HEPA filtration and monitor the air with a particle counter. During most woodworking operations, the air in my shop is cleaner than in my house or outside on a calm day. It's not hard to do.
    I agree. I'm also able to achieve cleaner than my house/outside in my shop. However, I needed to revisit connections and shrouds at each tool to ensure efficiency.

I hate to say "you need to do this" on here because what the heck do I know, BUT if at all possible you should try to find budget for a particle counter. Without a counter I never knew where I stood with ambient air. When I set out to upgrade my ambient air filtration I purchased a Dylos DC-1100 Pro. Now I know when I need a respirator and when I don't....in the past I wore one 100% of the time which is somewhat annoying to me.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Blog Entries
    I've posted this before, but here goes again. Dylos makes some very nice particle counter, but I got one from Banggood.com (less than $40 incl. shipping) that several reliable sources say is quite accurate. It shows counts for various particle sizes and the display is bright & very easy to read. You just have to supply a USB power supply. I have a USB battery velcro'd to the back of mine, which makes it easy to place anywhere in the shop I'm working.

It's eye opening, because visually, it's impossible to see even very high counts of sub-micron dust.

Here's the link:
    https://www.banggood.com/PM1_0-PM2_5..._warehouse=USA

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the insights and havre spent the week doing so much research and so many phone calls. I’m looking at a beast of a machine which I’d love some input on. Will start a new thread so as to not corrupt this one. But once again, I am overwhelmed by the insights and generosity of this community. Much gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie McDottie View Post
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate the insights and havre spent the week doing so much research and so many phone calls. I’m looking at a beast of a machine which I’d love some input on. Will start a new thread so as to not corrupt this one. But once again, I am overwhelmed by the insights and generosity of this community. Much gratitude.
    Good luck with it Ollie. I'll post my DIY air filter cart when I finish the edge banding around the top. It works so well I decided it needed hand cut dovetails lol.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.