Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

1 June 2021

Greetings,
    Been a busy week/weekend. I got the pantry project finished and here's the proof:
    new_kitchen_pantry.jpg

Took time to remember all my fallen brothers and sisters in the U.S. military services. Cooked out with family and friends, got some shop cleaning done and I've decided I'm going to start a small business via my woodworking. I don't know what all that entails yet, but I'll find out over the next couple of weeks. I'm both nervous and excited to make this step. So, if you have any wisdom tidbits to share with me over this decision? I'm listening.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week/holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Pantry looks good Dennis! Looking forward to hearing more about your business plans.

I have another coat of Enduro-Var to apply and then my office built-in cabinet doors will be ready for boring and hanging. Still have 4 drawer fronts to do and two tall skinny niche doors.

Sold my old shopsmith to a gentleman who lives a couple hours away. We had to disassemble it so he could fit it all in his car, but that was no big deal. Glad to have it go to someone who will get some more use out of it.

Had dinner with friends at a restaurant (albeit outdoors) for the first time in well over a year. Good times.

Continuing to chip away at kitchen remodel design. I've build a sketchup model and am using that to experiment with different layouts. That was about it for me last week.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I agree, that's a nice looking pantry.

Last weekend, my ongoing kitchen hutch project had reached a point where there was a fair bit of sanding to do. So, like any accomplished procrastinator, I opted instead to pick up my dovetail saw and get some more practice, as I've been doing for a little over a month, this time with the goal of making a box for my router plane and the cutters I have to go with it.

This past weekend I brought that project to a stopping point. With the finish I applied to it, you can almost overlook the evidence of a rank amateur having made the dovetails.

Completed (for now) Box.jpg

I'll add a lid to the box sooner or later--probably sooner--but since this was a diversion from the kitchen hutch project, I set it aside for now.

Returning to the kitchen hutch project, I sanded and began prefinishing the raised panels for the cabinet doors. Also cut to size and prefinished the material for the bottom shelves: veneered plywood so I can get a snug fit and not be concerned about dimensional stability.
    Chuck Taylor

Nice project result, Dennis!!!

"More of the saem" for me this past week...more cleanout of the old shop and with the cool weather on the weekend, I got a huge amount done in the upstairs, culling what's going to the recycler and identifying material to go to storage and other stuff to go to donations. I also moved a bunch of specimen plants to the new property so we could continue to enjoy the species like hellebores and ligularia as well as several kinds of ferns, that we cultivated for many years now. At the new place, I finally got to painting the front door, storm door and vent over the garage to renew the finish which was quite weathered. Also got more stuff put away, worked on the requirements for getting a permit for a sub-panel for the temporary shop and...acquired and put together a new grill. That last part came because when I went to setup our Weber Genesis, I discovered some substantial corrosion that compromised safety. So it went to the curb for the scavengers and I bought a new setup...this one with both gas and charcoal capability. I expect it to get a lot of use because I cannot use the high heat cooking techniques I've embraced for years in the new house's kitchen at the present time...electric range and zero outside venting....so having the grill means I can get back to cooking the ways I like to with less "bad words" involved. (I'll deal with the kitching issues once the old property is sold)

This week is...you guessed it...more of the same. It's going to be that way for awhile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice pantry Dennis...turned out great and a great choice of peanut butter to boot!

My daughter just bought her first place and her dad ended up with a rather lengthy to-do list. First stage was putting up a ship-lap wall in the living room. Install wasn't so bad, painting it was the fun part...said no one ever!
    A wannabe woodworker!