Thread: Short term cast iron storage?

Short term cast iron storage?

Good morning everyone,
    I’m about to leave my tools for a few months. Going state side to help my mom with a few things at her house and do a little work with a friend as well. So do you guys think a heavy dose of Boeshield t-9 will keep most of the rust away from my cast iron tops and a couple of hand planes? I do have some Johnson’s paste wax on hand as well. It’s almost storm season and the rains and humidity will be on the attack. No climate control in this house. Thanks for any help

Best of luck with the tools and enjoy the trip

A number of years back I had to put my tools in storage for about 2 years. What works or doesn't depends IMO on where it's stored. I coated everything with a thick coat of Johnsons Paste Wax and boxed everything up. It was packed in a spare bedroom and left there. It came out fine under those conditions. The fact the tools weren't outside or in a damp environment made all the difference IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    Good morning everyone,
    I’m about to leave my tools for a few months. Going state side to help my mom with a few things at her house and do a little work with a friend as well. So do you guys think a heavy dose of Boeshield t-9 will keep most of the rust away from my cast iron tops and a couple of hand planes? I do have some Johnson’s paste wax on hand as well. It’s almost storm season and the rains and humidity will be on the attack. No climate control in this house. Thanks for any help
    No climate control? How have you survived so far?

My advice would be to use all the protection you can apply, and also buy the best dehumidifier you can afford, drain it to the outside, and power it via an Uninterrupible Power Supply (island power prolly be interruptible.) Then, pray. Have someone check in every now and then to make sure the dehumidifier is still running.

Years ago I had to put my Unisaw up for an extended period. In the summer humidity and in a basement which would make it worse I decided to paint the top. I had some left over POR-15 from a 72 BMW 2002 resto I had done. I followed their procedure painting the top. It was not easy to remove the paint but the top was in excellent shape when done.

I'd Boeshield the hand planes then seal them with a food vacuum bag sealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Years ago I had to put my Unisaw up for an extended period. In the summer humidity and in a basement which would make it worse I decided to paint the top. I had some left over POR-15 from a 72 BMW 2002 resto I had done. I followed their procedure painting the top. It was not easy to remove the paint but the top was in excellent shape when done.
    You might also try to find some Cosmoline(^tm), and do like the Chinese do, just goop it all over everything. Does anyone know what is the equivalent of that, that you can buy on Amazon? Oh wait, it’s Cosmoline! It’s just Cosmoline, Cosmoline RP-342. That may very well be the same thing.

If it is, it comes off easily with kerosene.

I have a similar storage issue. I just ordered some of this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reviews are great. Does it work?

Check back with me in 5 months

There are tarps made with rust protection built in . Bull Frog is ,or was, a supplier of a lot of that stuff.

Wax the surface, put a sheet of VCI paper over it, and cover with a breathable furniture pad (just to hold the VCI paper against the surface and keep the air out).

https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-VCI12...3185137&sr=8-4
    Last edited by Austin Grote; 06-08-2021 at 4:50 PM.

Thanks for the responses. I will keep all the suggestions in mind for the next time too. In the end everything got a very liberal dose of the boeshield. I did loosely wrap the hand tools with the slightly oily rags used on the tables as well. Just could not get to the hardware or HD before I left. Hopefully I won’t have too much to remediate when I get back.