Thread: Craftsman.Combo Plane

Craftsman.Combo Plane

Took the plunge and ordered a Veritas Combination Plane. Here’s my dilemma. I have a Craftsman combo plane that I’m planning to offer for sale on the Creek. I have a set of 22 blades for the Craftsman. Look in pretty good condition except for some putting on a few. Will these fit the Veritas? If so I’ll sell the plane without the blades. Thougts?
    Last edited by Doug Weiner; 05-31-2021 at 11:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    Doug, there have been a few different threads on the Veritas Combination Plane.

Here is one of the longer threads that discusses the use of Stanley #45 blades > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?256419

Here is a post of mine reviewing the Veritas Small Plow Plane > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419 < It has a little bit about the differences between the blades.

The Veritas Comination Plane has not been in my hands so there isn't any knowledge if the Veritas can handle the Stanley blades differently than the VSPP.

Because the skate depth is different the Veritas planes can not use any of the offset blades like fluting, sash or match blades from the #45.

If you want to do a bit of work with a Dremel cutoff tool you could likely cut the Stanley blade to work on the Veritas Combination Plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is also a very good chance those Craftsman cutters were made by Sargent......and...Sargent used a different set of notches to move their cutters.

Based on responses and what I read in the threads I will sell the blades and buy the proper ones as needed from LV. Thanks very much.

Blog Entries

It comes with a wood guide rail. First job; make a longer one!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!