Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12" chainsaw

I don't think there is a battery chainsaw that I would bother to wear protection for. If I'm running the ported 066, I will, and sometimes for a mid sized saw. This saw that I'm clearing some windfall trees off our trails is no battery saw. I'll wear chaps when I'm using that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2cdN53BxGs Tree is a ten, or eleven inch Silver Maple.

I have one old corded one I use inside old houses, running the chain dry, so as not to sling oil inside. Too hot to even wear long pants, that day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-05-2021 at 7:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I don't think there are cordless chainsaw chaps and I suspect there do not need to be. Their chain is thinner and I think that makes somebody wonder about the chaps ability to stall the chain quickly but I am confident they still provide protection. It is not just cordless saws that have thinner chains.

I have a 14 inch 40V Ryobi. I got it because I already had several Ryobi 40V batteries and I had a neighbors tree across my driveway one Sunday morning. I found my old gas chain saw needed a carberator rebuild and just got the cordless instead. I've since used it to cut through the trunk of a pine that took out electricity to my neighborhood briefly. It was about 12 inches in diameter. It cuts bigger things well but it drains batteries quickly. Most recently I used it to help out a fellow airgunner make a berm. It worked better than his gas saw cutting off limbs once the tree was down. I also unstuck a big 36 inch saw by cutting through the trunk of a large tree, probably around 24 inches, from both sides. I did the same thing again so we could move a tree trunk. I think the guys with the gas saws need to learn to sharpen their chains but my little battery saw worked well. I drained 3 batteries completely and had a fourth pretty well drained when we quit, however. It's really nice not to have to worry about having mixed gas around and not gummed up and all the other little things that it takes to make a 2 cycle motor run. I would not say a battery saw is a complete replacement for a gas powered one but for smaller tasks mine works great.
    I also have the Ryobi 40 volt. I've been very pleased with it. If I had a regular need for it then I'd probably purchase another gas powered one. But the worst thing of all is not having an operating saw when you need it is a huge frustration. I only need one maybe 2-3 times per year to cut up some limbs. I have other tools to compliment it so it made sense. It seems to have adequate power.

I bought the Husky for use inside log homes. I only went with the husky because the dealer is the same one I use for all my outside saws and he treats me well. Did one log interior with it and it had good control which is the most important for that work and would work for a day without a charge. Use it in the yard when limbs fall down because the electric saw is so much easier to start.

Blog Entries
    I bought a HF 40v about a year ago, had issue with chain oil leak and took it back. They gave me a new one and so I've now got an extra battery and charger. It will cut 16-20 6 inch to 8 inch walnut slabs on a single charge of one battery. Great little saw. I recently limbed a large oak in front of my daughter's new house. Long straight limb about 7 ft off the ground. I lopped it off in three sections and then cut it up. Took me just under 3 battery charges. This is trimming off small branches and cutting up into 16" firewood lengths. Branch was pretty much 8 to 20 inch diameter. It took a while, but the little thing cut it.
    Oh, the BEST thing about these electric saws? Safety. Take your finger off the trigger and it just stops. You have maybe 2% chance of cutting yourself with this thing. Chaps? nope. Safety glasses and gloves.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others