Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End grain chess board

End grain chess board

My High School senior wanted to make a chess set for a friend as a graduation gift. I let him figure everything out and he decided on an end grain board, he liked the look. He is also making the pieces, which is coming out pretty cool, but those are just going to get spray finished.

For the board we didn’t want to use mineral oil like you do on a cutting board. The board won’t get wet or need to be washed, and it doesn’t need to be food grade. It would end up being greasy and won’t need to be refreshed. We were thinking a of a using something that would soak in and harden? On hand we have some Osmo PolyX and General Finishes High performance. Maybe we could just put the Osmo of GF on the surface and just keep adding more as it sucks it into the end grain?

Anyone have any good ideas? Maybe a thin epoxy?

Thanks

Sand it up to a very fine abrasive and use whatever oil based penetrating finish you like. And yea, you will need to do multiple coats until you get an even sheen once it's sealed, etc. The finer you sand it, the faster that will likely occur.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I just wasn’t sure if the deeper Osmo would cure but I guess at some point it will.

Forgot to mention, both woods are pretty tight grained. Hard maple and some type of real dense mahogany looking wood I picked up somewhere.

Of those two products I would use the Osmo

John

Thanks John, Osmo for the win...

You could also initially fill the grain with shellac, then top coat. Shellac is cheap and dries fast.

Good idea. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Good idea. Thanks
    Not if you want to use Osmo. Sand it finer if you want to limit absorption, but always apply it to bare wood.

John

Got it. I thought it was an either or. Probably going to just use a couple coats of Osmo and see how it goes.

Thank you for the correction, John. Obviously, I’m not familiar with Osmo. I guess I thought just about anything coukd go over shellac. Glad you chimed in...!

No worries, Phil. To be clear, Osmo likely will go over shellac just fine but it's designed to be used directly on the wood so it can soak into the wood fibers. Osmo goes over epoxy filled tables without issue so I'm sure it would adhere to shellac, too.

John

Well, here they are. He finished them just in time for the graduation parties!

We ended up doing 3 coats if OsMo PolyX. I let it sit and soak in longer then I normally would, but it still buffed out fine. The pieces we just went with rattle can lacquer. He is thrilled with the way they came out, and can’t wait to give them as gifts. Win win.

BFAE70A6-37ED-4FAE-A582-22B619722598.jpg

I’m impressed with the precision. Years ago I helped a friend make a board and I wondered how the squares could vary in size in spite of
    our extreme care ! Think a moulding around perimeter would improve the look and make it stronger.

Thanks Mel. The squares lined up better then we expected. A boarder would look good and we did think about it. We just weren’t sure how to do it with wood movement. Plus the clock was ticking and we didn’t want to push it.

Looks really good Jebediah.

John