Thread: Having a hard time with ML Campbell Resistant

Having a hard time with ML Campbell Resistant

Hi,

I have used the ML Campbell pre cat tinted product in the past. I had to retard/thin it with Butyl Cellosolve because (CA product 275 VOC) it would dry right off the gun tip with anything else although at that time they could not sell flow enhancer 2. Doing it this way it was easy to spray, even without much experience I sprayed a couple of dressers that came out perfect.

I switched to a post cat product mainly because I was throwing out a lot of pre cat product during the experimentation phase because of the short shelf life.

For the resistant I just can't seem to get it to work out. I sprayed some drawer fronts successfully (horizontally) using 100% Flow 2 with about 30 secs on a Ford 2. The spray looked rough but I think they came out good because I was able to go fairly heavy + small area so they had time to flow out.
    However, I tried a dresser top spraying horizontally and it was really hard to get it to flow out because of the large area which from I what I understand is not unusual for this product although using 100% flow 2 you would think it would be feasible.

So I just tried to spray the vertical parts of the dresser and I knew I might have issues with sag so I thinned only to about 40 secs on the ford 2 using 100% Butyl Cellosolve. Still got sags even being really careful and could not get good flowout even then (somewhat rough surface). It seems like you can either have good flowout and sags or poor flowout and no sags. I'm guessing the Butyl Cellosolve is not really compatible with this product since it's not really a pure lacquer like the pre cat from what I can tell. Of course I know its not an approved thinner.

My equipment is -

Accuspray gravity gun run from 4 stage turbine
    1.8mm tip, 705 air cap. For the verticals, I switched to 2.0mm tip since I was at 40 secs but the finish is rough and has sags.

Maybe this product is not really HVLP friendly, seems like the pros all use Kremlins for this product.

I will try once more using Flow 2, no Butyl Cellosolve. I can go back to pre cat but I may have to strip this piece. I think pre cat can go over post cat but not sure.

The other interesting part of this is that spraying the Clawlock post cat product was easy, almost looked like a top coat.

Thanks for any advice.

Alex.. Have you tried the ML Campbell Tech Line ?