Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table Saw Sleds - comparison

I have no play. There are eccentric screw adjustments to secure the miter bar (if that is the problem) so it doesn't move. There should be no movement on any other parts either but I'm not aware of the same type of adjustments. Without looking, I can't remember the exact locations, but, If you need additional assistances, I'll spend some time examining mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    I have no play. There are eccentric screw adjustments to secure the miter bar (if that is the problem) so it doesn't move. There should be no movement on any other parts either but I'm not aware of the same type of adjustments. Without looking, I can't remember the exact locations, but, If you need additional assistances, I'll spend some time examining mine.
    There are no eccentric screws adjustments on the steel miter bar, it's a split washer expanded via a counter sunk head screw. I could have swore years ago (more than 10) that the right side table was locked with eccentric screws but now its just a wedged shaped nut that jams the sides of the aluminum miter bar apart where they weakened it by milling most of the material away. So the sides of the bar bulge out until it pinches the sides of the saw miter slot.

Incra 5000 Sled Tip - GREASE the 5 white split washers and screws on the steel miter bar.

Issue - The split white washers on the steel miter bar are countersunk. The adjustment screw is also countersunk. Incra's theory is as you tighten the countersunk screw this spreads the split white washer out snugging the steel miter bar in the saw miter slot removing play. But there is so much friction between the bottom of the split washer and the steel miter bar as you tighten the adjustment screw it seizes. I watched a youtube video by a guy who was struggling with this. There's still a lot of slop in the miter slot but the split washer has seized.

So you put some muscle into it, the allen wrench is bending then BANG the washer breaks loos and expands. Ditto on that guys youtube video. Keep going with several more BANGS until you remove the play in the saw miter slot but its jumping in large moves so you are likely to overshoot. Try to loosen the thing to make a fine adjustment, not possible BANG it breaks loose and jumps in larger movements when loosening. Also the shockwave is not kind on the fingers. Last night I got it adjusted as best as I could but it was mediocre. Some of the 5 split washers were binding it didn't slide smoothly in my saw miter slot.

Fix - So today I removed all 5 of the white split washers and screws. Greased the bottom of the split washer and the countersunk area of the washer, also greased the screw countersunk shoulders. Not a lot, a little dab will do. Then set about adjusting it snug to the saw miter slot. WAY smoother. I was able to expand the 5 split washers slowly and evenly, a bit of back and forth and it was perfect. Slides smoothly front to back with no play and only a slight drag fit. Near the final adjustment I got some small 'ticks' so it's tight for sure but smooth getting there.

AND while I'm at it, check the screws on the black fixed washers which are supposed to be tightened at the factory. One of mine was completely loose and the screw was sticking up.