Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: club cadet 42" ride on mower few issues

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Gracious! My first thought in seeing the pile of parts was you could use a stronger machine!

But what lasts 600 hours? A spindle? The mower itself? At 25 hours a year isn't that 24 years between failures? At that rate it sounds like you don't need a heaver duty machine.

I have a somewhat similar situation in that I use a mower outside it's envelop of expectation. I have two Kubota 60" zero turns with 25hp diesel. I ran the first one hard with both mowing and for "bush hogging" in the woods, heavy brush, etc. Often hit stumps, branches, rocks. Mowing in the rough gets noisy sometimes but nothing has ever broken on the machine, I guess it's built strong. The biggest problem was slowly losing air in the front swiveling tires and replaced the serpentine belt once in 15 years.

I finally bought a new one and decided to keep the old one for the rough and save the new one for the grass.

Attachment 459395

But I never heard of using a mower on horse manure. I made a drag from a 12' length of chain link fencing and pull it around the pastures with a 4-wheeler.

JKJ
    I have other mowers, from a 15' batwing, 7" rotary cutter for trails, and other trimming, zero turns, on down to a Snapper bagging mower for the dog yards. I used a chain harrow, years ago, but it just spreads clumps around. This shreds it, and we've had no parasites since. It's just a cheap, box store riding mower. 600 hours was my estimate for the life of this particular mower. It has 640 on it now. I only put a hundred bucks, or so, a year in parts in it. I don't want to put a better mower to this job. I have the tools ready to go to swap spindle parts, so it only requires a few minutes to swap something out.

I keep the blades sharp, on everything else, but don't worry about it for this use. It's not a job for a multi-use mower.

what is this adjustment for. Once the deck was back on this bar goes from the bracket on the front of the deck up to the frame. I can see its adjustable. Ive only been working on an uneven lawn ill get out onto some flat concrete and see what changing it does.

thanks

w

Capture.JPG dfgg.JPGfghhh.JPG

I think that's to level the deck, front to back, and also keep it from swinging freely, putting slack in the belt.

yeah think so I was too impatient to go on concrete so just started cutting on 8 of 10 its still cutting low so think front tilted down. wonder if the last owner was right both bolts on one side or rather one should be on the inside then the deck would not move around as much but maybe its supposed to.

All considered its cutting well. Will have to get more like you and get new spindles and change and grease bearings and some extra blades. The one spindle housing is cracked and its got old dried out grass in it so arrived that way. Happy its working I drank my coffee and instead of reading forums cut the lawn, now i just need a screen on the lawn mower and I can do three things at once.

the double nut thing at the front was levelling. I went on a neighbours driveway and it was not out too much its sitting level now, was way out of level so likely mostly only the front cutting. Now from side to side one side is down 1/4" lower than the other side.

It also sits higher at the same height adjustment and is fine now 8 of 10 was too low and now its cutting on 8 to about 3" height.

Since the height adjust runs into air craft cable, then the pin, then the cotter pin to hold it in is there a way to adjust the side to side as it hangs off t hose cables? are they two seperate cables or one wiht an adjustment somewhere. I could drill a new hole and wonder maybe there are a few holes on one side will have to check that. Maybe not on both sides.

cutting fine and for as old as it is the motor sounds really good.

Will check for you tubes since there are so many on this brand.

Tom I left both of the nuts on the same side, do you think that is correct. regular nut and then against it an interference fit nut. Just wondered if someone had put it back together wrong and maybe they were to either side originally. Then woud not float the same so maybe this better.

tons of you tubes but they set up different dependingon models. Right away that one front rod on all the you tubes I saw were two rods, one each side so right there is your side to side height adjustment or at least one way. I think one had a ratcheting nut that moved a brakcet up and down or a part within the bracket. That will work if this one has that.

On those who mulch do you use stock blades or some sort of upgraded design, I see ones with cuts in the back where they turn up. easy to cut into one and do that but more sense to purchase if they really do work better. Rider can have a bag set up, memory was it was priced steep. Mulching works better on this ride on thing than it did on my push mower. How well it works is speed dependent at times.

I've never had one with a cable for lifting the deck. Don't use mulching blades.

Here's my next fix on that mower. This just blew out yesterday. This at 640 hours of rough cutting. Funny that the cheapest, and lightest built mower I have gets the roughest use. I'll build this up by welding a little heavier sheet metal over the blowout, and tie that wheel bracket up stronger too. I might post a picture, but I'm not going to take pains to make it look good.

It's a 48" deck. The outside spindles are right under the edge of the footrests. Don't try this at home, but I leave the safety covers off for ease of working on the spindles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not too pretty, but back in business for now, and it doesn't throw anything out where it's not supposed to.

Chip Foose will not be calling you

you got the job done and it works

I hammered the deck with a finishing hammer and chunk of precision shaft. Not pretty but made the pulley sit straight and belt is tracking fine. I get it now that is how the blade timing went off, deck bent pulled tilted and skipped some teeth then blades hit. All this a result of one cotter pin that fell out and led to other things, id say better system than a cotter pin to hold stuff in place.

Still have to fix the personal pace but using it as is, three times as hard to push as a regular mower turning over all the gears and stuff.

This was my real body work job, this morning. I'll let the epoxy primer cure for a couple of days, and then paint it.

Did you have any pocket parts left

if you are asking me nothing left over. I worked on the lawn which was stupid, twice dropped stuff but dial indicator base found them both times and easily. Garage full at the moment, will love to get it back workbench tools and all sit on a high chair at a bench.

Interesting Tom on the net lots of guys drilling spindles and putting zerks in and showing rubbers that had been left on bearings that would have never get grease.

The bigger mowers have great spindles. I consider these disposable. Never worn out a bearing. Something else gives first.