Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Probably a good news

Thanks, Osvaldo. That's the first time I took note that board futures had quadrupled in a year. We dragged our feet on a home addition this year, and recently we've decided to ride this wave out due to the price distortion for materials and the lack of availability of nearly every member of the project team. Maybe we'll aim to break ground in the fall of 2022.

I'm seeing more and more articles about builders not being able to bid on houses. They say prices are going up so much, that within a week their bid is unworkable. Sometimes within a day. And what potential homeowner is going to sign a contract saying that the cost is "we have no idea", and then we'll tack 20% on to that?

I'm also riding this out. I bet a lot of homeowners are starting to do that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Lowes in Catskill NY as of Yesterday, June 10th. Even 23/32 CDX plywood is (slightly) less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    California has lots of eucalyptus in the parts were it does not freeze. planted starting in 1882. The link below shows the oldest ones in the USA, in Berkeley California, planted on University campus 1882. they are now the tallest hardwood trees in North America.
    They were planted thinking they would grow to be timber trees. There are over 700 species and the ones they got Are only good for firewood. Most in the state are blue or red gum trees. Blue gum grows tall and straight with spiral cracking the red gum is shorter and more branched. The branches rot off and fall before it gets to 12 meters.
    Bill D.
    modesto, CA. USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwV_nlNoO2c

210 feet =64meter

The tallest redwood is 379 feet = 115.7 meters
    Bill I was told by a history buff that the RR planted them for ties, only to discover that they twisted too much to make for parallel rails, and they abandoned them.

In SoCal, they used them as windbreaks on the orange groves. My aunt’s block’s backyards were lined with them… huge beasts, but all their houses were a converted orange grove. She saw that first hand, as they bought the contractor’s own house. I Googled it a couple decades after she died, and the last of them were gone, including hers. NOTHING grew under them! And massive shade.

I think poison oak will grow under them. Nothing else will.
    Bill D

Wow… OSB… and premium at that. (Isn’t that an oxymoron?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I think poison oak will grow under them. Nothing else will.
    Bill D
    To which I am highly allergic.

I'm still seeing crazy prices.

Is it me, or should we pass on that top plywood board for $90.46? I'm thinking it might be a little warped. Hard to tell.
    Warped HD Plywood.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I'm still seeing crazy prices.

Is it me, or should we pass on that top plywood board for $90.46? I'm thinking it might be a little warped. Hard to tell.
    Warped HD Plywood.jpg
    All my plywood looks like that. I have to use a zillion clamps to force it into place. Baltic and CDX, all pre-pandemic. 8 sheets in total. Maybe I should sell it all… I’d make a hell of a profit.