Thread: Replace horrible Jeldwen window latches

Replace horrible Jeldwen window latches

I need window latches that work better than the horrible Jeldwen brand latches that are on all the sliding vinyl windows in a house. The Jeldwen latch (shown in photo) requires tugging to get the window to slide open and slamming to get the latch to close.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had those in a place I rented years ago. Mine worked well. Make sure you don’t have globs of paint on top and bottom rails. Spray the latches with a non- gumming lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I had those in a place I rented years ago. Mine worked well. Make sure you don’t have globs of paint on top and bottom rails. Spray the latches with a non- gumming lube.
    I'm going to install a different type of latch.

There's no paint on the latches. There are 7 sliding windows in the house and the Jeldwen latches on all of them are terrible.

It is probably not the latches, but rather the window installation. If these are replacement windows, you may be able to remove them and re=install fairly easily. Making sure the window is square and plumb will make them work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I'm going to install a different type of latch.

There's no paint on the latches. There are 7 sliding windows in the house and the Jeldwen latches on all of them are terrible.
    Not for nothing, but do these jam all year around - or only when the AC is on?

Have had Jeldwen sliders in 2 houses and all the latches work very well I now have Jeldwen casement windows and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Not for nothing, but do these jam all year around - or only when the AC is on?
    They jam in all seasons. The house doesn't have AC yet.

The photo shows a better design for a latch, but it comes on a window where the frame of the stationary pane has a channel in it to accept the end of the latch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    They jam in all seasons. The house doesn't have AC yet.
    We put in triple pane vinyl windows in 2015. I find that some of the openings have reduced in height enough to make closing difficult. These are (of course) the windows I can't easily reach.

I must keep those scrupulously clean and forcibly "seat" the upper sash for the latches to engage.

Might I suggest a single trial before you buy a full set of replacement latches?

It may also be useful to mount two latches on either side of center with larger spans.

Best of luck, this is a maddening problem.

Not to hijack this thread but I had similar troubles with Anderson windows with the "crank out" type latches.
    At $60 a pop I got tired of that price and replaced the windows with similar style latches that you have pictured.
    Hope I didn't go wrong--been 4 years since and no problems yet!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils