Thread: Cerused Oak finishing schedule

Cerused Oak finishing schedule

Has anyone done a cerused finish on Oak? I'm quoting a job for several White Oak table tops for a new coffee shop and the designer is wanting a Cerused Oak with an overall gray tone. I was unfamiliar with the terminology, but after looking it up it seems simple enough at least in the final result.

I'm basically looking for some instruction on how to achieve this look in tandem with a very durable clear top coat. Top clear coat durability is of high importance as this is a commercial environment with expected high wear.

I've read some instructions on this technique mainly from design blogs and DIY sites that were lacking on actual details and much of it seemed copied and pasted from each other.

I saw mentioned of wire brushing the grain to open the pores, using some type of liming paste to fill the opened grain, some type of stain / dye color, and then top coat.

I have a 4 stage Fuji HVLP and would love to use a top coat like a waterborne conversion varnish or similar.

I have also noticed that Rubio Monocoat has a product/schedule for the cerused look, but I've never used Monocoat and really don't know if that finish is anywhere close to durable enough for this environment, though it may be easier to spot repair over time??

I will need to have a conversation with the clients about finishing expectations long term and how easy they want it to be to repair down the road.

At this point I'm just trying to get enough of a sense of the finishing process to quote the finishing aspect of the job accurate enough, but eventually need to dial it in. There would be finish samples done up front with approval coming from the client.

Any thoughts or advice?
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 05-29-2021 at 4:54 PM.
    Still waters run deep.