Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop build, Phase 1, Plywood flooring

Wanted to thank everyone for all of the advice, much appreciated

Ned a little late to the party here. My shop has a 6'' concrete floor that I overlaid with a wood floor on the woodshop end. My floor consists of 1"x4" 4' on center laid flat with 2x6 on edge 16" on center run perpendicular over the 1 by 4. I used my laser level and shimmed the whole thing level. I have 3/4' plywood on the floor. My shop is full of real heavy stuff ,10 foot slider ,16 jointer ,two big shapers etc. I screwed my plywood down so that I can lift a sheet and shim under where a heavy machine sits, this has worked great. I really like the plywood floor and would do it again ,way easier on my back and knees than walking on concrete all day . It is also nice when assembling stuff to be able to screw jigs to the floor. Kinder to tools than concrete as well.

Hi Ned
    You have the potential for a nice shop there but it deserves a better floor. My thought is 'remove the old crappy floor and excavate a few inches so you can install an inch of insulation then a 4" concrete floor. Done.

BTW, your profile doesn't give your location. Frost and termites are important considerations.