Thread: Stowable CNC or laser cutter?

Stowable CNC or laser cutter?

So my new shop is far smaller than I wanted it to be, and I'm trying to fit my laser and CNC router (think Shapeoko style, nothing heavy) in there. Has anyone seen a design for a rollaway version of either of those? Usually I see them on top of a table or something, but I don't use them all the time. I'm thinking about some 2-3" thick torsion tables on some heavy duty slides or just wheels to tuck under a table. Cable management and dust collection will be "fun" but should be doable. Thoughts?

There's no reason I can think of that you couldn't use HD full extension slides and a sturdy work surface like you describe to make these tools "disappear" into cabinetry. Functionally, they don't need to be at any specific height to do what they do...height is more about human comfort...the tool doesn't care.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here is a link to a YouTube video that shows a CNC cabinet that might fit your needs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EysYVMnZxBQ. Actually, the video shows two cabinets -- a larger one on wheels and the smaller one that is the focus of this video. The two cabinets were made for the X-carve, but I think you should be able to adapt them for your own use.

In addition to this video, there is another one where someone made a table that is attached to the wall and folds down when it's not in use. I haven't searched for that video for you.

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona