Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawer type microwave: Pros and cons?

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Sure.

Perhaps most importantly, virtually every microwave I've ever used has a display and keypad on the front that is far easier to see and use if it is placed at eye level.

When cooking meals such as instant oatmeal it is important to stop the cooking cycle just as the contents begin to rise. Otherwise it immediately overflows the container and makes a huge mess.

At eye level, it is easy to see when the inside needs cleaning and also easy to clean without squatting or bending uncomfortably.

When heating liquid meals, such as soup, care must be taken when inserting and removing the container so as to not spill the contents. This is far more easily done with the microwave at eye level.

The consensus is actually that people can get used to anything, even when it is not well thought out.
    So oatmeal make sense...we don't make it in the mw, but it makes sense. The drawer units typically have the controls and display at the top, and often on a tilt out that is very easy to read/use so I don't see that as an issue. Since the access to the interior is through the open top of a pulled out drawer at waist height, IMO it seems easier to clean and easier to insert and remove contents, at least on the larger units with a large enough opening. When you read use reviews, ease of cleaning and loading/unloading are usually listed as PROs for the drawer style.

Most decisions come with compromises; this one's no different. Unfortunately, I won't have a place to put it at eye level even if I wanted too, my choice is really counter top or under counter. You've helped me understand some of the compromises, thanks!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Paul,
    We have had the Sharp Insight Pro drawer unit in our island for over 11 years and love it. As far as "bending" I'm 6' and the controls are about belt height, easy peasy. As an Architect, I have specked this type of microwave for virtually every house I have designed since they first came out, not one complaint from a single client, most rave about the ease of use and aesthetic.

Bill

Blog Entries
    I understand the desire to open up counter top space by locating the zapper below the countertop. Personally I want convenience, not glamour. BTW we also have a nice (KitchenAid) countertop toaster oven. It gets used five times as often as our nice GE range.
    NOW you tell me...