Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would cause a building to shake?

Even money says the substructure isn't as designed, likely without pretensioned concrete pilings. There's no downside to cutting corners in Chinese construction and maintenance is a passe Western idea.

The tower comprises a steel-reinforced concrete core with external steel tube columns filled with concrete. It has four basement levels.[4]
    It was constructed for Seg Plaza Investment and Development with investment from the Shenzhen SEG Group Co. Ltd. The tower was designed by Chinese architecture firm Hua Yi Designing Consultants Limited (Chinese: 华艺设计顾问有限公司).[5]

The octagonally-shaped building is the tallest in the world to be built with concrete-filled steel tubular columns.

• Height: 356 meters / 1,168 feet

Preliminary inspections by on-site experts found that there are no safety-related abnormalities in the building’s main structure or surrounding environment, the government said in the statement.
    There were no cracks found in the ground nearby, the interior steel structure was normal, and curtain wall panels and other decorative surfaces did not fall off or sustain damage, it added.

It seems to stand quite high above all the surrounding buildings, it seems strange that a light breeze would do anything to it.

18abf1f8-b87e-11eb-9461-e80e43f535ad_image_hires_165326[1].jpg

An interesting article about the construction industry in Shenzhen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...autionary-tale

Blog Entries
    Obviously some western propaganda.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3123140]An interesting article about the construction industry in Shenzhen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...autionary-tale[FONT=Merriweather]

That was an interesting article. He claimed building collapses occur regularly in china. I didnt know that. He also said concrete made with sea sand corrodes steel. Does anyone understand why? I'd previously thought sand was not permeable, and wouldnt soak up chemicals from salt water. But I guess that must be wrong?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Don't think the salt is absorbed by the sand, it just coats the sand. If it was thoroughly rinsed, there would be no problem.

I read somewhere today, that the swaying could be caused by a combination of wind, street traffic and a subway. Still it's all quite fascinating and i am interested to know what actually caused it.

That Bloomberg article was interesting, hard to know if its all true, same with everything these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Don't think the salt is absorbed by the sand, it just coats the sand. If it was thoroughly rinsed, there would be no problem.
    Thank you. That makes far more sense to me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

What can be done about it?

I blame graboids...isn't a new 'Tremors' sequel due out soon?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    i would guess some kind of harmonic issue as well. interesting. also, china builds these things as fast as possible with little regard to proper engineering.
    Hi Adam, do you have links to articles on this?

A quick search indicated that innovative building techniques have sped up construction but it also indicates they are not cutting safety, engineering or disregarding international building standards and regulations:

“I think this goes back to an innovative form of modular Lego like construction,” Alastair Campbell, Investment Manager-Asia Pacific at Kames Capital told CNBC via email.

“This is not a case of a Chinese builder throwing up a building as fast as possible in order to make a quick buck and a sign of lax building regulations. Rather the intention was to demonstrate an efficient building technique, after all the Chinese have built a lot of huge apartment blocks over the last 20 years.”

However, such speed has raised questions on the buildings’ sustainability, longevity and safety even though some analysts have said that the construction companies follow international building standards and regulations.

“Undoubtedly, there are poorly constructed and designed buildings in China, particularly due to historically poor application and oversight of planning and building laws. However, I suspect that the application of laws has probably been tightened and standards enforced since the anti-corruption drive initiated by President Xi Jinping in 2012. The penalties for breaching building laws can be severe,” Kames’ Campbell told CNBC.
    This was about a 57 story building that was put up in 19 days, found at > https://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/23/a-sk...-problems.html

The article suggests the current problem in China caused by the high speed of construction is an over supply of vacant floor space.

NOTE: this article is from 2016.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My point got buried in the discussion.

Something changed, as this swaying was not noted before. Absent seismic activity, or lateral loads from wind all that remains is either the occupants or foundations.

My bet is on what can't be seen, below ground.

The CCP is not known for transparency regarding public works or robust regulation of construction materials.

https://www.wired.com/2013/03/poor-q...per-collapses/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hi Adam, do you have links to articles on this?

A quick search indicated that innovative building techniques have sped up construction but it also indicates they are not cutting safety, engineering or disregarding international building standards and regulations:

jtk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q00nTSAcMhs

https://www.wired.com/2013/03/poor-q...per-collapses/
    plenty of others.

its really down to their contracting and administration, where its better to be corrupt than do the right thing. just because the building plan says a thing must be some spec, does not make it so in the real world.

just noticed i grabbed the same article as above.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    . just because the building plan says a thing must be some spec, does not make it so in the real world.
    Reminds me of friend of mine, he's construction designer & welder who helped build the Utah Jazz Delta Center arena; he explained 'the real world' issues that came with that project, the biggest one being that when the end of the building was about to be connected up to the beginning, they found that the building's end was 11" shorter than the beginning... Don't know exactly how they dealt with that but 'that's what trim is for' probably came into play
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Corruption is not just a Chinese problem.
    Anywhere there are people there is corruption.
    My Father was a government construction building inspector for the Public Works Department
    They needed inspectors, and some of the inspectors needed inspectors, and some of the department managers needed inspectors... there were often scandal's and arrests in big government contracts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Dig

The Big Dig was the most expensive highway project in the US, and was plagued by cost overruns, delays, leaks, design flaws, charges of poor execution and use of substandard materials, criminal arrests,[2][3] and the death of one motorist.[4] The project was originally scheduled to be completed in 1998[5] at an estimated cost of $2.8 billion (in 1982 dollars, US$7.4 billion adjusted for inflation as of 2020).[6] However, the project was completed in December 2007 at a cost of over $8.08 billion (in 1982 dollars, $21.5 billion adjusted for inflation, meaning a cost overrun of about 190%)[6] as of 2020.[7]The Boston Globe estimated that the project will ultimately cost $22 billion, including interest, and that it would not be paid off until 2038.[8] As a result of a death, leaks, and other design flaws, Bechtel and Parsons Brinckerhoff—the consortium that oversaw the project—agreed to pay $407 million in restitution and several smaller companies agreed to pay a combined sum of approximately $51 million.[9]

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Anywhere there are people there is corruption.
    My Father was a government construction building inspector for the Public Works Department...
    I've been a concrete inspector, in-shop steel fabrication inspector, bridge and building steel construction inspector in the field, NDT tech and inspector (xray, mag particle, ultrasonics, dye penetrant, etc), and welding inspector (and I may have forgotten some others).

At every step there was opportunity to streamline the work by "overlooking" defects in exchange for money or other benefits, ESPECIALLY in nuclear power plant construction where 10s of thousands of $$ were on the line if a single defect deep inside a heavy-wall pipe weld caused it to be rejected. Even the concrete business could get testy: we once rejected the concrete on a foundation on a 1/2 completed parking garage based on lab cylinder compression tests - the concrete had to be torn out and replaced at great expense. Some contractors seemed frustrated (actually really ticked off) I and others I worked with refused to play the game. I knew an inspector or two I wondered about...

JKJ