Thread: Two questions, tables saws and adhesives

Two questions, tables saws and adhesives

I just got a used Craftsman table saw and although I'll eventually upgrade I've got to deal with using this one for now. You don't find too many cheap used saws that work well and have a riving knife built in. This one doesn't have a specific riving knife, but it has a blade guard that's supported by what effectively serves as a riving knife. Problem is the blade isn't lining up with the 'knife' even though all parts seem to fit together as they should. Are there spacers out there that are designed to adjust a blade left and right on the arbor? Also, my new blade, a 7" Diablo combo is .04 thick while the saw's knife is .08. So in addition to adding a spacer on the arbor it looks like I need to get a thicker blade. Any suggestion there?

Question (subject) number two...caulk adhesives that will stick to plastic. I use liquid nails heavy duty for a lot of my slap together projects but it doesn't seem to stick to regular 4 mil sheet plastic that well. Can anyone suggest a caulk tube adhesive that sticks to both sheet plastic and wood well?
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

I had one of those guard/splitter thing on my Ridgid TS 3660.
    It never worked right. It was either the wrong size for the blade or out of alignment.

I took it off and got an MJ Splitter & never looked back.

I've always just used Duct tape on 4 mil.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Te problem may be your blade thickness. Most table saws use a 10" blade, although I know of some older saws that had smaller blades, but very few. The difference of blade thickness is significant between a 7" and 10" blade. If your saw is designed for a 10", I'd try that first.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    Which model Craftsman saw do you have?

I have model 137.218250 ...

IMG-0629.jpg

It's a cheap first saw. I'll be upgrading asap but it's what I got for now.

Did not know that about blade thickness...that 7" would be thinner than 10" but it makes sense really. I'll look into using an alternative blade thickness. I'm guessing I'll end up making a zero clearance plate and installing my own knife in.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

If you can measure the thickness of the splitter it may help. 10" blades come in different kerf widths and maybe you could match it or go a tiny bit wider kerf.