Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna Dust Collector not going on

Laguna Dust Collector not going on

Hi all,

I have a Laguna Cflux-3 that was giving me some intermittent issues turning the unit on and would take a few hits of the switch or remote control 'on' to get it to start up. Today, the motor won't start at all. I do get a 'beep' coming from the circuit board when turning it on and the light on the switch goes on, so my guess is that it's not the switch.

I am getting 120v (240 combined) hot to both input legs of the contactor unit, but after turning the switch on, I get no power to the output side of the contactor.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be?
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Have you looked at the contacts on the relay (contactor). Can you see or hear the contactor closing when you press the switch? If the contactor is bad that is an easy and cheap fix. A 30 amp contactor with a 120V coil can be bought easily for under $20.00.
    I also have a Cflux-3 and had trouble with it turning on. My problem was the remote though.
    Last edited by Robert Hayward; 09-05-2022 at 4:51 PM.

What are you measuring on the coil of the contactor?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Have you looked at the contacts on the relay (contactor). Can you see or hear the contactor closing when you press the switch? If the contactor is bad that is an easy and cheap fix. A 30 amp contactor with a 120V coil can be bought easily for under $20.00.
    I also have a Cflux-3 and had trouble with it turning on. My problem was the remote though.
    I don't hear the contactor closing, I only hear the 'beep' when I press the on switch (remote or physical) and the light on the switch goes white.

I just testing the wires going into the contactor, There are two hot leads going into the contactor (L1 and L2), which are hot when plugged in. I am getting power to M1 and M2 at the contactor also. Nothing on T1 or T2 going out to the motor.

Hopefully this pdf of the wire diagram is visible here.

wire diagram.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    What are you measuring on the coil of the contactor?
    I am getting voltage (120v) going to both sides of the coil (where M1 and M2 are plugged in). I believe you are talking ohms resistance? If so, I get 0.979 (of course unplugged from AC Power).
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 09-05-2022 at 7:35 PM.

Did you install your own electrical plug? Could be an intermittent voltage or ground issue related to a bad connection. Happened to me on a table saw once.

I am going to suspect the contactor now. I took the cover plate off to get a look at the contacts and and the bottom leg has burn marks on the motor side. When I apply power from the switch, the contactor does nothing at all, it doesn't even attempt to engage, closing the circuit for power to flow. The contactor part number is SF30C2B. I can't find this part # available from a search. I have found other relays, such as C230C which is also a 2pole 30 amp that has the same contact ratings, and looks identical from the picture. I will call Laguna tomorrow to confirm.

Last edited by Justin Rapp; 09-05-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Did you install your own electrical plug? Could be an intermittent voltage or ground issue related to a bad connection. Happened to me on a table saw once.
    I did install my own plug, however the problem is no longer intermittent. I am getting solid power on both poles and the ground through the power cord into the switch/control box. The contactor seems to be burned out as I see some burn on one pole and I am not getting a good ohms reading on the contactor coil.

Use a dry wooden stick to manually close the contactor. usually push in or up to close. Three amp contactor is way too low. Did you mean 30 amps?
    I do not see a Three wire stop/start switch circuit that is normally the first thing to check. Does it have a maintained ON switch that is also the off switch?
    Bill D

That upper relay could be 3 amps since it only powers the contactor coil. A bit confusing since it is also labeled m2 and L2 like the contacter. Is it a separate relay or is it physically extra contacts on the main contactor?
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-05-2022 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Use a dry wooden stick to manually close the contactor. usually push in or up to close. Three amp contactor is way too low. Did you mean 30 amps?
    I do not see a Three wire stop/start switch circuit that is normally the first thing to check. Does it have a maintained ON switch that is also the off switch?
    Bill D

That upper relay could be 3 amps since it only powers the contactor coil. A bit confusing since it is also labeled m2 and L2 like the contacter. Is it a separate relay or is it physically extra contacts on the main contactor?
    yes it is 30 amp - had a typo. There is a 2nd relay on a circuit board, I suspect it's to send the 120v power down to the contactor. There is a 4 wire stop/start switch, that switch tests out fine.

I am a bit reluctant to close the contactor while under power now that I see the one pole looks burnt up. I'll located a contactor and replace before anything else. They are cheap enough.

My experience with Laguna and a replacement remote fob was extremely expensive. Seems it was seventy some dollars and took weeks to receive. When the replacement went bad a few months after receiving I spent about $36 for a remote electric switch with three remotes on Amazon and had it in three days. You do not need a Laguna supplied contactor. Most any 30 amp contactor with a 120v coli will work. Attached is a picture of a contactor that is a drop in fit for my Cflux-3. Same terminals and everything. This one was $11 and change on Amazon. Do a search on Amazon using: Packard - DP301202 C230B 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor, 120 Voltage Coil

Adding a picture of the actual Laguna remote circuit board for those that may want to see it. This board was removed from my Cflux-3 and replaced with the remote operated electric switch when my second Laguna remote fob failed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Hayward; 09-06-2022 at 3:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    My experience with Laguna and a replacement remote fob was extremely expensive. Seems it was seventy some dollars and took weeks to receive. When the replacement went bad a few months after receiving I spent about $36 for a remote electric switch with three remotes on Amazon and had it in three days. You do not need a Laguna supplied contactor. Most any 30 amp contactor with a 120v coli will work. Attached is a picture of a contactor that is a drop in fit for my Cflux-3. Same terminals and everything. This one was $11 and change on Amazon. Do a search on Amazon using: Packard - DP301202 C230B 2 Pole 30 Amp Contactor, 120 Voltage Coil

Adding a picture of the actual Laguna remote circuit board for those that may want to see it. This board was removed from my Cflux-3 and replaced with the remote operated electric switch when my second Laguna remote fob failed.
    Thank you - I did see that and it was in my cart on hold. It's 11 bux. The worst that happens is I have some other issue on top of the contactor. Amazon will have it to me on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Thank you - I did see that and it was in my cart on hold. It's 11 bux. The worst that happens is I have some other issue on top of the contactor. Amazon will have it to me on Thursday.
    After talking with Laguna, they are sending me the entire control box to make sure all the parts are replaced. The readings from the circuit board are questionable, as is the contactor (which is out of stock anyway), and to ensure everything just works from the switch to the output going to the motor, it was suggested to send me the entire control box. I agreed. I should be up and running in a few days once it arrives.

That is good to hear. Hopefully yours is still under warranty.

That's great support from Laguna. I sometimes read about poor experiences with Laguna support.