Thread: Paint on Vintage Plane?

Paint on Vintage Plane?

Hey all,

I came into a nice vintage Stanley plane. It has some small flecks of paint on the Japanning. Any idea on the best method to remove this without removing the Japanning?

Thanks!

My personal experience is that the japanning is tough stuff. I first just try to pop off the specks with an Xacto, but I also have found that paint thinner or lacquer thinner on a Qtip will remove it without damage. Is there any vintage tool in the world that doesn’t come with paint specks? Let me guess...it’s either white or green.

Blog Entries
    I would scrub it with steel wool and paint thinner and then coat it with Johnson floor wax. The wax protects against corrosion and rust.

I keep my tools in tip-top condition, but a few paint specks? Unless you’re intent on flipping it for a quick profit in today’s crazy marketplace, or want to make it a shelf queen, who cares? If you purchased it to be a user, tune it up and put it to work.

Blog Entries
    It seems one of the purposes of our beloved vintage planes was to anchor painter's drop cloths.

My recent purchase of an old block plane appeared to be another example of this.

Another recently read about discovery did amazingly well to remove a lot of rust, paint and even blobs of an unknown type of glue from the Japanned surface of the plane without harming the plane's surface:

a Scraping Rust w:90º Chisel.jpg

This was a seldom used chisel ground to a 90º bevel. Here it is shown removing rust. Since this chisel was converted to a 90º bevel it has been rehandled and an 1/8" & 1/4" chisel have been purchased to also convert to 90º bevel tools.

If you do not have a spare chisel, you might try this with a piece of scrap steel or even grind the point of a 16d nail flat and give it a try.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-27-2021 at 8:14 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+1 on I'd leave the paint on if it's a user.
    Option 2, use a box cutter razor blade scraper like a cabinet scraper. You can find one at the box stores in the paint area. These also scrape away light surface rust. They also cheap. I think the original intent is to scrape trim paint off of window glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Is there any vintage tool in the world that doesn’t come with paint specks? Let me guess...it’s either white or green.
    Lol. So true. It's white and greyish blue. Close!

I got my grandpa's 7 and 5 last year, all have paint specks matching the house I grew up in. White and green.

Blog Entries
    Start with one speck and see what works.

Blog Entries
    If you have a rusty plane, black automotive paint does a nice job making it look good.