I have been considering making a treadle lathe for a long time now, but am finally looking at some existing designs to decide on what I would like to build.

material will probably be SYP. It is just the most practical for me from price / availability standpoint.
Space is somewhat limited as I need to share garage space with a couple of cars, lawnmower, etc.. So far, I have been dragging my bench out during the weekend and it spends most of its time pushed up against a wall. I'll need to do the same with a treadle lathe.

I am trying to find a design with the flywheel parallel to the ways. I remember a long time ago that Harry Strasil had mentioned he saw a Swedish design like that but I have not been able to find any pictures of anything like that yet.
I imagine it worked by having the drive belt take a half twist between the flywheel and the drive pulley.

I can start by adapting an existing design to this arrangement, but would be great if anyone has seen or know of a design with the flywheel parallel to the ways.

Thanks,
Jeff