Thread: Looking for another nut

Looking for another nut

Yes, I know, I've come to the right place

I'm busy cleaning up an old ~1940 Craftsman 6" jointer for use. Model 102.05600 near as I can figure. Kind of cool, this one belonged to my grandfather, a finish carpenter back in the day. I don't remember meeting the man (I was 1 when he died), but I've seen some church furnishings he made and it's really nice to have some of his tools.

Anyhow the table height crank wheels are threaded on the shafts and held on with 1/2-24 acorn nuts. I have one nut, the other is lost to history. Without the nut you can't adjust the table, the crank wheel just spins off. When my dad had the machine he just kept the outfeed table fixed and used the nut on the infeed side. I'm a little more anal retentive than he was, so I'd like to replace the nut.

1/2-24 is NOT a common size. I've checked all of the usual places (McMaster-Carr, MSC, Grainger, etc. etc. etc.), and didn't find anything. Thanks to Google, I found a site that has some standard and nylock. It's actually a site selling MG car parts, and has some other odd threaded nuts & bolts:

http://www.mgbsource.com

Before I pay $12.95 shipping for a dollar's worth of "close enough" hardware, does anyone out there have an old 1/2-24 nut they'd be willing to send me for a few bucks? Extra credit if it's an acorn nut/cap nut. Extra credit and awe if it's off a Craftsman jointer.

I'm willing to make a donation /sacrifice to the Creek in lieu of or in addition to other payment as well.

I have posted on OWWM just now, but figured I should try here as well. Thanks much.
    -Dan D.

Ray's rule for precision:

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Blog Entries
    I've never done business with this company, but they list 1/2-24 nuts on their web site.1/2-24 Nuts
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

3. I have an extra 1/2-24 acorn nut to match. I was restoring the same model jointer and needed one so I had my friend who is a machinist make me a few. Are you still needing one?

Tyler the original post is about 11 years old !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vijay Kumar View Post
    Tyler the original post is about 11 years old !!!!
    I still have posts from 25 years ago that are marked so I need to reply to them. What are you supposed to do. It’s possible the OP may be dead or otherwise moved on, and what then.

Very likely any British source nut or bolt will be whitworth 55 degree thread form not the US standard 60 degree threadform. One will thread on to the other for one -two turns then jam. Ask before you buy.
    AFAIK all metric threads are 60 degree.

Bill D.

Blog Entries
    Guys this is a 11 year old post, I'm sure the problem has either been solved or the OP is no longer interested...
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-27-2021 at 7:09 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Guys this is a 21 year old post, I'm sure the problem has either been solved or the OP is no longer interested...
    Not sure about your math Lee...

9. I have a couple extras. I had some made to match for the same jointer.

10. I did notice the age of the post. If he still needs it he still needs it. If not, oh well.