Thread: Removing one Trex board from the middle of the deck

Blog Entries

Removing one Trex board from the middle of the deck

My son's deck has developed a problem that can most easily be addressed by removing one or two Trex pieces in the middle of the deck. The decking is attached with hidden fasteners. We don't want to destroy either piece by ripping out the center of one as suggested by Trex. It would be a problem to match color and to get one 20 foot piece delivered.

We have to restore the deck after we fix the problem. It would be helpful if you have actually done this process.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I haven't removed a board, but I have installed decking with the Trex hidden fasteners. It has been a few years now, but can't you get a screwdriver bit down between the boards to remove the screw from the fastener? The screwdriver bit will need to have a long skinny shaft to get in between the boards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It has been a few years now, but can't you get a screwdriver bit down between the boards to remove the screw from the fastener? The screwdriver bit will need to have a long skinny shaft to get in between the boards.
    Yes you can remove the screws and even get the boards out that way. The problem is how do you get the fasteners between the two boards back in place once they are completely removed. The boards are 20 feet long and you have to fit the tabs of the fasteners into both grooves simultaneously as you push them down onto place while also keeping the fasteners on the other side of those two boards engaged in the grooves.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The re-installation is going to be a problem.

I think you may have to explore a different solution for the reinstallation. I used the Camo solution for my in laws deck--it drives the screws at an angle.

Blog Entries

Cortex screws with matching plugs?

To reinstall them, maybe you could use cortex screws with matching plugs, through the board
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Yes you can remove the screws and even get the boards out that way. The problem is how do you get the fasteners between the two boards back in place once they are completely removed. The boards are 20 feet long and you have to fit the tabs of the fasteners into both grooves simultaneously as you push them down onto place while also keeping the fasteners on the other side of those two boards engaged in the grooves.
    To reinstall you slide all of the fasteners into the grooves of the adjacent boards. After the boards are back in you then slide the fasteners back down the groove to the proper places and screw them down. This assumes you are using the black Trex hidden fasteners.

Blog Entries
    I would just face screw the replacement board. With proper small head deck screws of the matching color, only you will know.
    NOW you tell me...

Do you have room to work underneath it?

I had the same problem with Trex type boards that swelled and started to buckle. I drove a thin chisel down every joist and destroyed the fasteners until I was able to get a board up. Once one is out others can be removed with judicious use of force and prying. I narrowed the boards on a table saw rounded the edges and glued them down and used small headed ss face screws. Looks ok but can be seen upon close inspection. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I had the same problem with Trex type boards that swelled and started to buckle. I drove a thin chisel down every joist and destroyed the fasteners until I was able to get a board up. Once one is out others can be removed with judicious use of force and prying. I narrowed the boards on a table saw rounded the edges and glued them down and used small headed ss face screws. Looks ok but can be seen upon close inspection. Hope this helps

This is what I was going to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I would just face screw the replacement board. With proper small head deck screws of the matching color, only you will know.
    +1........
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”