Thread: Chiseling out sandstone?

Chiseling out sandstone?

I have a ring camera in a tree pointed at my house. The batteries last a week or two, and then need to be charged, which means hauling out a ladder etc. etc. I got a photocell panel for it that works well, but is pretty ugly.
    I thought of getting something "decorative" and putting the panel in it. I thought of a bench, but that would be obtrusive. My wife suggested a rock and found some sandstone rocks at a garden store for $50. It is drilled for a plant pot, but has a nice flat surface for the panel.

How would I hog out some rock to recess the panel?

I’ve used small cold chisels for minor concrete excavation.

I'd approach it the same way as a shallow mortise in wood but use tools suited to stone.

Mark the area to be excavated. Use a masonry bit to drill out the bulk of the material. Use a small cold chisel to clean things up. Sandstone is easy to work.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

If chipping it out doesn't work for you...you could "mold your own rock" using concrete or resin and sand. The mold making is a nice little woodworking project, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A circular saw with a masonary blade will cut stone just fine. Use an old saw and just enough water to keep the dust down (not on the saw). Make a bunch of scores and chip out the rock between the cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    A circular saw with a masonary blade will cut stone just fine. Use an old saw and just enough water to keep the dust down (not on the saw). Make a bunch of scores and chip out the rock between the cuts.

That was gonna be my suggestion too. With a slight mod, a 4 or 4.5" grinder is easier to control. Diamond blades are cheap now. Use it on a
    GFCI protected circuit and use as much water as you want.

I buy the cheapest 4-1/2" grinder, and use a water hose, figuring it's a disposable tool. They last about an hour. I'd rather dispose of a cheap tool, than my lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I have a ring camera in a tree pointed at my house. The batteries last a week or two, and then need to be charged, which means hauling out a ladder etc. etc. I got a photocell panel for it that works well, but is pretty ugly.
    I thought of getting something "decorative" and putting the panel in it. I thought of a bench, but that would be obtrusive. My wife suggested a rock and found some sandstone rocks at a garden store for $50. It is drilled for a plant pot, but has a nice flat surface for the panel.

How would I hog out some rock to recess the panel?

You can get resin/fiberglass/plastic 'rocks' - hollow and suitable for everything from covering hoses to outdoor speakers. Probably only require a hole saw or suitable sized drill... A little duct tape, toss it in the weeds, and no dynamite or stonemason required.

Might put in 2 or 3 'rocks', just so the bad thems (gotta be inclusive) don't know which one to look under for the house key?

Sand blaster or needle scaler. Or do it like a mortise with overlapping drill holes then chisel out the waste between holes.
    Bill D