Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ideas on how to mount this without the hardware showing

Looking for ideas on how to mount this without the hardware showing

I want to build and mount this, but p[refer not to use a french cleat. Looking for suggestion on how to wall mount so you won't see the fasteners. Thanks for any help.
    BrianCoat hook.jpg
    Brian

Use a keyhole slot or keyhole hardware.

What is it -- a coat rack? I ask because if it is a coat rack, somebody will be yanking pretty hard on those vertical parts. That, in turn, means that you must tie it quit strongly to the wall. But if it has some other function, perhaps the mounting scheme can be lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What is it -- a coat rack? I ask because if it is a coat rack, somebody will be yanking pretty hard on those vertical parts. That, in turn, means that you must tie it quit strongly to the wall. But if it has some other function, perhaps the mounting scheme can be lighter weight.
    Goes in the laundry room, can double as a drying rack and coat rack. thanks. brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Benson View Post
    Use a keyhole slot or keyhole hardware.
    So put this on the back of the rack and a fastener in the wall, correct?

Thanks Brian

https://www.rockler.com/keyhole-fitt...BoC8IgQAvD_BwE
    Brian

Keyhole fastener, but ....

Make a template out of thin plywood or cardboard to drill the holes for the screws and plastic inserts that go into the drywall.
    Regards,

Tom

You could use screws in countersunk holes and plug the holes with matching plugs insuring that the holes align with the studs in the wall.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Are the individual hooks glued on? When I do coat racks, I try to work out the spacing so the hooks cover the mounting screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Keyhole fastener, but ....

Make a template out of thin plywood or cardboard to drill the holes for the screws and plastic inserts that go into the drywall.
    I have also had success using dowel pins in the keyhole slots to get the mounting locations right.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Are the individual hooks glued on? When I do coat racks, I try to work out the spacing so the hooks cover the mounting screws.
    I was going to suggest that but how do you attach the hooks without visible fasteners?

If it is a coat rack, I’d say that the keyhole approach is too flimsy and sloppy. I’d bite the bullet, and drive screws through the front into studs. That’d be strong enough. Counterbore the holes, and drive domed plugs into them after you screw the rack to the wall. Use plugs of the same species as the test of the rack.

I was going to suggest that but how do you attach the hooks without visible fasteners?
    I'd makes the hooks so they attach with dovetails & drive a screw into the dovetail. You'd probably only catch one stud - but - hollow wall anchors in the dovetail slot of each hanger should be plenty enough to hold it.
    For a little extra hold, you could always use some 90# rated double faced tape.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I want to build and mount this, but p[refer not to use a french cleat. Looking for suggestion on how to wall mount so you won't see the fasteners. Thanks for any help.
    BrianCoat hook.jpg

I made a coat rack for my kiddo and the wall mounting screws were hidden behind two of the the coat hooks. The hook were re-installed after the rack was fixed to the wall. If you want everything to be blind I'd attach two hooks to the backer (or however many you want to hide screws behind) with a form of French cleat and lock them in pace with a screws at the bottom. Very crude sketch below. All the towel hooks and TP dispensers in my bathroom attach this way.

Screenshot 2021-05-26 135740.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

You could use aluminum french cleats that are mortised into the back, no one would ever see them.

https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Alumin...2059745&sr=8-4

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I'd makes the hooks so they attach with dovetails & drive a screw into the dovetail. You'd probably only catch one stud - but - hollow wall anchors in the dovetail slot of each hanger should be plenty enough to hold it.
    For a little extra hold, you could always use some 90# rated double faced tape.
    Like the dovetail idea, not sure I can picture how you would nail it after mounting on the wall but you could just glue it in. However one disadvantage is how do you later remove the coat hanger without destroying it if you need to relocate it or just temporarily remove it to paint or wallpaper the wall? I would use the screw with a contrasting plug as part of the design. That would be the most secure and if the plug is friction fit it can be pried out out if needed.