Thread: Got Out to the Hunt Today

Blog Entries

Got Out to the Hunt Today

Candy wanted to get out today so we went to Kalama and visited one of our favored antique stores.

They have changed things around a lot since our last visit. Not only was the entry moved a lot of vendors have moved on and new ones are on the scene.

There were a lot of tools, but with my accumulation there weren't many that are not already in my shop.

There was one #60-1/2 at a decent price. This was something on my want list for the longest time. Before the pandemic one was found in St. Helens, OR.

Just couldn't resist so this one got a ride home.

Stanley #60-1:2 Top View.jpg Stanley #60-1:2 Side View.jpg Stanley #60-1:2 Disassembled.jpg

From the features on this one comparing to type studies of other models this one was likely made between 1947 - 1951. 1947 was when stamping the model number into the side supposedly began. 1952 is when the bedding for the blade at the mouth became a narrow strip.

A little clean up and blade work and it should be good to go.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I like how wide the bedding by the mouth is. I didn't know that they had made it more narrow in 1952. That is a good thing to know, and I think it gives better contact between the iron and the plane body.

That is something to look for because the bedding in that location is only about 1/4" wide in my 60 1/2. It seems to be adequate, and has given me no problems, but obviously the wider bedding is better.

That one looks like it only has mild surface rusting, so it should clean up very nicely. If you don't mind, please post a photo of the "after."

Given the shape of the plane and the wide machined bedding, "ya did good."

Stew

Blog Entries
    That one looks like it only has mild surface rusting, so it should clean up very nicely. If you don't mind, please post a photo of the "after."
    You got it Stew.

Just for fun my 90º bevel chisel was given a try on this:

a Scraping Rust w:90º Chisel.jpg

It worked quite well at taking off the rust.

After this a Scotch Bright pad was used:

c After the Scotch Bright.jpg

Here is a before image for comparison:

Stanley #60-1:2 Side View.jpg

After about an hour of cleaning up with abrasives, mineral spirits and blade honing it was taking shavings:

d Making Shavings.jpg

The casting and metal work isn't quite as refined as my pre-war model, but it is still a nice block plane:

e All Clean.jpg

Now a space has to be found for this or another plane since my block plane shelf is full.

Its always something…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Jim,

It looks good now, nice job and much improved. It also looks like you got it sharp, based on the shavings.

Good job!

Stew

Nice cleanup Jim! Do you ever use Evaporust for rust removal?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Nice cleanup Jim! Do you ever use Evaporust for rust removal?
    Not yet, so far my rust removal chemistry has been cleaning strength vinegar (6% if my memory is working. It can be found in the cleaning section of larger grocery stores) and citric acid (powder available at wine making supply stores). Someone claimed to have good luck with a dry lemonade mixed strong.

My most recent cleaning was done on some rusty cast iron cornbread molds. It cleaned up real nice with a wire brush after an overnight soak and a water rinse. Be sure to wear eye and hand protection.

jtk

A nice find. A 60 1/2 or two (or three) make a fine addition to a user kit. I used to have several, along with a couple #65 knuckle joint versions and a Millers Falls version. I'm glad to say all found happy homes during the tool purge of 2018. Only one in the kit now (LN).
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.