Thread: Interesting moulding plane

Interesting moulding plane

Maybe this isn't an uncommon plane, but I haven't seen one. I found this double iron moulding plane today and it has a very deep round over. It is marked Ohio tool company, 91, 1".

If I had to guess it looks like it may be good for something like stair treads or table tops that use a complete round over.

All in all, it was an interesting find.

IMG_20210524_171045046.jpgIMG_20210524_171050832.jpgIMG_20210524_171026508.jpgIMG_20210524_171036110.jpg

I havent seen one like that. It will be interesting to hear what our Wise Men here say.

To me, it looks like you could use that one single plane to round the top edge or the bottom edge of a tabletop (etc) - and cut with the grain in either case. Almost as if one plane does the work of four. Is that possible?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Lee, at The Best Things, would probably know if anyone would.

It's a double iron nosing plane.

I've handled a couple of them but they aren't very common.

Here's one that Jim Bode has for sale.

https://www.jimbodetools.com/product...913-fine-88959

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Lee, at The Best Things, would probably know if anyone would.
    Tom, I figured you'd know Sir. (You were one of the Wise Men I was thinking of.)
    But Im with you - Lee would know. That guy is really good.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gillard View Post
    It's a double iron nosing plane.

I've handled a couple of them but they aren't very common.

Here's one that Jim Bode has for sale.

https://www.jimbodetools.com/product...913-fine-88959
    Thanks for the link! I found mine for $16, so it doesn't look like I did too bad

Blog Entries
    Not a common configuration but for a large rounding it is easier to hone two quarter round blades than it is to sharpen one half round.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

While this is true, I would think this plane would be more difficult to set up as you need to set two irons instead of one. I'm sure it's a lot of trial and error

I bought a nosing plane in 1983 when I was building a spiral staircase. It has seen occasional use since, but is not much used for furniture.

My plane was made in Philadelphia around 1840 and has a single iron. Wide molding planes can have trouble discharging the shaving out the side, so there is some advantage to having two irons and having shavings go out both side. Some one probably paid a slight premium for your plane when it was new.

I did not see Jason's post until I finished mine. I agree, more work to set up two irons, but clogging can be frustrating also.
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 05-25-2021 at 8:09 AM.