Thread: Can't see through my dust collector bucket window: SOLVED

Can't see through my dust collector bucket window: SOLVED

I lieu of a costly electronic fill indicator, I went with a plexy window. As we all know static causes dust to stick to the window.....and you can't see inside the bucket for crap. In the shop today I came across a stack of rare earth magnets and thought, hmmm wonder if a magnet would... Yup, sure enough, rubbing the magnet side to side on the outside of the window clears the dust providing a clear view inside. Kinda reminded me of "Wooly Willy"....for those old enough to remember that toy.
    DC.jpgRare_Earth.jpg
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Blog Entries
    Great tip!! I'll be adding a window and a magnet to my setup. Thanks Fred!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    Great tip!! I'll be adding a window and a magnet to my setup. Thanks Fred!
    After additional reading on static electricity I looked closer at why the dust cleared from inside the plexi. I learned that bits of metal suspended in the airstream (assuming from sawblades) inside the bucket were attracted to the magnet sitting outside of the plexi, AND sliding the magnet back and forth was merely moving the metal bits and pushing sawdust aside....the magnet was NOT causing static dissipation as I'd initially thought. In effect, I'd created a wiper blade. Downside is I need to slide the magnet many times to clear the dust which scratched the plexi badly.

Hmm.....a WIPER BLADE!

I didn't change the title from "SOLVED" to "SORRY I'M a FOOL" because through this I stumbled upon something the does solve the issue. To prove the wiper blade concept viable, I dug out an old school light pull chains, wrapped it in carpet tape, and then blue shop towel. I drilled a hole and forced the clasp through from inside of the bucket which works well as the chain doesn't fall in. When I deploy the magnet now it pulls the chain and shop towel up on the plexi creating a VERY affective "wiper blade" as seen below. There's certainly a way to improve on this.....maybe a dryer sheet in place in place of the shop towel.

1.jpg 2.jpg3.jpg
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fred! And still a great tip!
    I may get a fish tank cleaning magnet pair and give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    Thanks Fred! And still a great tip!
    I may get a fish tank cleaning magnet pair and give that a try.
    Good idea. The basic concept works but falls into the category of a hack as shown. At the end of the day it keeps me from pumping a mountain of sawdust outside and doesn't need to be sexy lol.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Fred, just keep in mind that that hole you drilled for the chain must be absolutely sealed or you'll get blow-by into your filters if you have a cyclone or other form of two stage DC. The tiniest of leaks can do that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Fred, just keep in mind that that hole you drilled for the chain must be absolutely sealed or you'll get blow-by into your filters if you have a cyclone or other form of two stage DC. The tiniest of leaks can do that!
    No filters....using a SDD vented outside. At this point no blow-by but I plan to goop when I decide if I want to refine it. It works very well so I may leave the shop towel on it. As they say, great is the enemy of good right...
    Thanks,
    Fred