Thread: Lie-Nielsen #140 skew block plane

Lie-Nielsen #140 skew block plane

Colleagues: a fellow woodworker in the area wants to buy my L-N #140 skew block (right hand version). See:
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products...anes&node=4072

I bought it about 25 years ago, used it once or twice, put back in its box, and just never found or needed another use for it.
    What would be a good price? Am not sure if he wants a “fire sale price” in order to re-sell it. Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    Ray, does your #140 have a knicker?

Right now L-N has it listed as out of stock.

As recently as May 9th one without a knicker sold for $376. It appears to have had eight distinct bidders in the auction.

Right now, fire sale prices would be the original list price.

BTW, that was one of the lower prices some were $200 above that.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim K.: no mine does not have a knicker. I am surprised at the prices that are not only asked but are paid!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Jim K.: no mine does not have a knicker. I am surprised at the prices that are not only asked but are paid!
    As soon as production ramps up the price will likely stabilize. The one mentioned in my prvious post was also without a knicker. Maybe the knicker is why others were as much as $200 more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Probably immaterial right now, but Pre-P I had called LN and they said they could add the nicker to mine should I choose to do so.

My only question is why would anyone want to shed a 140. It is one of the most useful block planes in my till.

ken

Jack F: Back in 2019. I sent my #140 back to L-N about adding a knicker. Received a call back stating it could not be done as it is a very early casting. Probably a slight change in the mould design was required for the knicker.

Ken H: For some reason, I just don't reach for it. Maybe I have become too accustomed to my L-N low angle #60 1/2 or Stanley-UK block planes?
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 05-25-2021 at 5:54 PM.

Blog Entries
    [edited]

Ken H: For some reason, I just don't reach for it. Maybe I have become too accustomed to my L-N low angle #60 1/2 or Stanley-UK block planes?
    The #140 will do well to make a rabbet. On dovetails the 'trick' of rabbeting the tail board is often referred to as "the #140 trick."

It is also useful for trimming tenons.

If those uses are not part of your work, then it may be time to sell it. But sell it for what it is worth, not so someone else can make money on a good deal.

jtk

Jack F: Back in 2019. I sent my #140 back to L-N about adding a knicker. Received a call back stating it could not be done as it is a very early casting. Probably a slight change in the mould design was required for the knicker.

Ray,

What Jim said, I'm using my 140 on almost every project but if you do not use it make fine rabbets or trim tenons then it might not be needed.

ken