Thread: New bench… Noden legs?

New bench… Noden legs?

This is really about the Noden adjustable legs. I saw a thread where Jim uses them on 2 benches and I really wanted to know: @Jim, how is your 2-rail bigger bench as regards lateral racking? I would love this height flexibility but not at the cost of rock solid lateral stability. I’ve been making do for a very long time now, and “Ah hates rackin’ ta pieces!” Anyone else using them and can weigh in? At the price they cost plus the two rails… I don’t want buyer’s remorse.

I was going to buy Doug fir and while I dithered, a $27 stick went to over $60 and still climbing. Realized I have a trash bench made of Doug fir that’s been in this basement since early 1900s… 10’ x 2 x 12. In addition, a neighbor threw away a 1924 7’ door of cvg fir 3 pieces 2x9x7’ that I can also cut up and laminate.

That big one… I’m going to make a scrub plane out of an old Craftsman #5 that was my uncle’s. He never even sharpened it. It’s not a great plane and I’m not a great WW so it’ll be a good learning experience. But that wood has too much history to just toss on a saw and planer. I’ll start with a metal detector but I’m guessing I’ll discover many surprises from the 100+ years.

Thanks all!

I have not had any issue with racking over the years I've owned the original Adjust-A-Bench. Having the more recent and much heavier bench on top hasn't hurt that at all, either. The smaller auxiliary bench that I made from the "Craftsman Kit" is pretty darn stout, too, but obviously lighter. The all-steel original version is probably the best choice for the stoutest setup. You can also opt to use either version with a hefty cabinet between the legs instead of just the two stretchers with the embedded threaded rod. You can make things as heavy and stout as you want to that way! Have a talk with Geoff...he's a really nice guy...about your needs and concerns and I'm sure he'll point you to the best choice for your situation. You will not regret having height adjustability. It can really be a game changer for both comfort and "seeing what you're doing".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you sir.

I looked into these legs a few years ago. I seriously considered them. But depending on how heavy your top will be, you may/or may not like lifting a real heavy top. I have back problems so I decided not to buy.

My new/current bench top is uber heavy...purple heart and cherry. It's really not an issue adjusting the height since you are only doing one end at a time alternating until you are at the height you want. "Up" I can do with one hand; "down" requires two hands to insure it doesn't drop quickly when you press the foot pedal.
    --

This is where overhang is good and bad. A lot of overhang on both ends will be much easier to raise and lower but it will result in a little less support at the ends.

A way around this is to give yourself a lever (extended handle) that slides out or hooks on for lifting.

Imagine a 12' bench on a 4' base, easy to lift one end at a time. But this would not be a satisfactory bench.

Imagine an 8' bench on a 6' base, more effort to lift the end. But add a 4' extension handle and it gets easier.

I’ve decided to forego these legs and spend the money on tools instead. I lucked into a bunch of old growth Doug fir for free, so I’m going to build the base. Jim, I took your advice and called Mr. Noden. What a lovely man! We talked for over an hour. He’s done a good thing with these. I still want a set, but not today.

I'm glad you touched bases with Geoff even though you've decided not to go this route for now. He is indeed a very nice man and an amazing craftsman and inventor. He has an inlay technique for turning that's pretty amazing as one of his highlights...and that's in addition to his exquisite furniture work over the years, as well as the whole Adjust-A-Bench endeavor.
    --