This is really about the Noden adjustable legs. I saw a thread where Jim uses them on 2 benches and I really wanted to know: @Jim, how is your 2-rail bigger bench as regards lateral racking? I would love this height flexibility but not at the cost of rock solid lateral stability. I’ve been making do for a very long time now, and “Ah hates rackin’ ta pieces!” Anyone else using them and can weigh in? At the price they cost plus the two rails… I don’t want buyer’s remorse.

I was going to buy Doug fir and while I dithered, a $27 stick went to over $60 and still climbing. Realized I have a trash bench made of Doug fir that’s been in this basement since early 1900s… 10’ x 2 x 12. In addition, a neighbor threw away a 1924 7’ door of cvg fir 3 pieces 2x9x7’ that I can also cut up and laminate.

That big one… I’m going to make a scrub plane out of an old Craftsman #5 that was my uncle’s. He never even sharpened it. It’s not a great plane and I’m not a great WW so it’ll be a good learning experience. But that wood has too much history to just toss on a saw and planer. I’ll start with a metal detector but I’m guessing I’ll discover many surprises from the 100+ years.

Thanks all!