Thread: Hammer A3-31 Infeed and Outfeed Roller Tension

Hammer A3-31 Infeed and Outfeed Roller Tension

I picked up a used A3-31 a month or so ago and finally got around to start dialing it in after giving a good clean (head and the bed had some surface rust). I dialed in the jointer beds after a few hours (beds were supprisingly flat, within 0.003" based on some other reports, but the unit is 2011, so the cast iron is seasoned).

Then it came to the planer/thicknesser. I'm use to dealing with minimal snipe from my DW-735X, but with all the reports that the Hammer/Felder JP combos can magically get no snipe I thought I would give it a shot;

The bed is level to the cutter head (+/-)
    Adjusted the infeed roller to 0.9mm bellow the cutter head
    Adjusted the outfeed roller to 0.3mm bellow the cutter head

I had a few issues with the board fishtailing as it went in, the remedy for this was reportably adjusting the infeed roller tension. I've done that to where I think there is minimal fishtailing, the the board doesnt lift up as it hit the infeed roller as much as it did before. But still getting some minimal snipe on the trailing side. So I started adjusting the rollers, but I *think* at one point I may have incrased the tension on one side, while decreasing it on the other, so think I'm out of whack. Is there a way to test the outfeed roller tension is correct from side to side? Or a factory spec from fully backed off for example?

I was testing with a ~2.5-3" wide piece of scrap ash, ~5' long. I don't have outfeed support on the planer, but was supporting the piece as it exited the planer.

Thanks

I find the outfeed support, on the planer, is pretty much required to minimize snipe. I also limit my cuts to no more than 1mm which seems to be the magic number for me.

The Felder spray solution also helps big time on the planer, doesn't stain the wood, but I couldn't find it on their website. It reduces the friction between the wood and the metal bed, so you get less of that snaking.

Edit: Found it https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-U...ejecfpsc91enf2
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 05-23-2021 at 6:19 PM.

I find I don't need a hardware outfeed support on my A3-31 planer. I do pick up on the front end of the board as it is clearing the cutter head at the rear. I get minimal snipe.
    I do use the lock on the planer table adjustment. It took me years to realize that helped reduce snipe quite a bit.

I can't help you with the planer rollers. I've had mine for 21 years now, and that's one adjustment I've never had to mess with.

Blog Entries
    From the Felder Owners Group (FOG) site:

https://groups.io/g/felderownersgrou...nt%20guide.pdf

I suggest you join the FOG.

I'm on the "FOG", but it seems very inactive. There also didnt seem to be any specs listed for this setting.

I've re-waxed the bed, but might just end up backing them off till practically loose, get them balanced and start from scratch.

My beds are well waxed. but I still use the super glide, not for every cut, but when I notice a bed snaking or dragging. One squirt and it's good for another 20-30 cuts. I've had one bottle now for about 18 months and it barely looks used, so I'm estimating 5-6 years out of this bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    My beds are well waxed. but I still use the super glide, not for every cut, but when I notice a bed snaking or dragging. One squirt and it's good for another 20-30 cuts. I've had one bottle now for about 18 months and it barely looks used, so I'm estimating 5-6 years out of this bottle.
    I'm still contemplating the beds (vs home made for the cost!) If I place an order I might include the spray at least just to test it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Karlson2 View Post
    I'm on the "FOG", but it seems very inactive. There also didnt seem to be any specs listed for this setting.

I've re-waxed the bed, but might just end up backing them off till practically loose, get them balanced and start from scratch.
    Karl, all the adjustment videos are here (scroll down): https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/s.../how-to-videos

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Karlson2 View Post

I guess I don't know what you consider to be active. There are over 1k posts in the last month.

Mike