Thread: Painting over Lacquer?

Painting over Lacquer?

Guys my kitchen cabinets look old and needs a face lift. I painted these cabinets using white lacquer about 30 yrs ago, but I want to keep it simple go with something other than lacquer. What kind of paint can I use over lacquer if any that will work on my small kitchen?
    I don't have the drive anymore like when I was young and just want to get it done fast as possible. We be selling in about year which hope to retire so looking for painting options.
    My first thought was to sand the lacquer so coat paint will stick, which I consider buying rattle cans of lacquer paint from say Auto Zone or auto supply store.
    But because we are living here I would also like to just use water base paint and maybe brush for a color finish. Which that means that each afternoon when finish painting cleanup would be little easier.
    Only details I have to deal with is some crown molding that's about it, parts of the kitchen is a clear pine wood so I am leaving that along but the rest is a white lacquer finish. Any ideals for older person who just wants to get it done pertain I am retired.
    Thanks ya'll are best

I think you'll be fine with cleaning the cabinets really well with warm water and dish soap, then lightly sanding them just enough to scuff the surface. A couple of products I would consider are Sherwin Williams Extreme Grip primer followed by their Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel or ProClassic paints. Both go on great with brush.

John

Thanks John, going to go with your suggestion on paint. I have use the Pro Classic and love it, but I hear lot of good things about Emerald paints also.

Carroll, if dry/cure time is a big concern then I'd go with ProClassic. The Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel can be recoated in just a few hours, but will take at least a week to get hard, and probably 3 weeks before it's fully cured. If you time is not too critical then the Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel is the bees knees.

John

Going go with Emerald, it’s pretty expensive but want something good.My problem is buying in quart cans cause be using two different colors.Which I think that’s about 30.00 qt. but I’m tired being cheap

I just used the Emerald Urethane trim paint on the front doors and a ventilation panel up on the gable. Very nice product...went on smoothly with great coverage. I will note that there is a slight lingering odor from the product noticeable between the primary door and the storm door, not unlike what would be experienced with some oil based or emulsified oil product that are waterborne. It's not objectionable, but it's there in case someone is sensitive to things like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This type paint will be my ho to paint.I always use their Pro Classic love it but tired dealing with oil base and cleanup.Thsnks for all help

Guys went to SW's today, and covid has taken its toll on them. The shelves are not empty but for SW's they are bare, seems that most paint is in 5 gals which I did see several going out the door. No airless sprayers nor the TC Pro which I just wanted to look at but nothing other than few spray tips and couple hoses. Here's the good news I guess they had no Pro Classic are any other trim cabinet paint, they had no 1 gal containers of Emerald paints. They only had few of the qts which was couple satin, SG, and G. They were out of any paint for wood and trim which I was only looking for that Emerald, so I pick up couple qts. I also ask about good 2" brush which I got the angle for doing face frames. He tinted the two qts which I think will be enough paint to do some of the cabinets which we're not painting all of cabinets. So I went out the door, with two qts and one 15.00 brush. Got home, looking over my ticket cause it did not add up. On shelve that paint was price at 40.00 qt each plus the 15.00 brush. I'm not one to capitalize off of someone's mistake so I give them call and ask for guy who I purchase paint from. I ask him about my purchase which should have come up to about 100.00. I also told him that maybe you gave me one heck of a discount, so he reply back saying that Emerald is their highest quality and most expensive. That they had no other choices in store so he gave me a discount, which come up to total of 58.00 out the door. So my luck has change, my conscience is clear and its a good day.
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 06-11-2021 at 6:37 PM.

Just an FYI Pro Classic come in a water base and alkyd.

I’ve used all 3 and like the alkyd best.

Thanks Robert for that ideal that may be the paint I use once get done in kitchen. I guess paint is like all other things which all is expensive now days. Now, I wish I was fair at least with brush