Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Convert 2x4 walls to 2x6?

1. I just built mine out with 2x4 walls using 2" foamboard. T1-11 over that. The only problem was having to use nail plates on every stud. I sealed the edges of the fb with spray foam, but I didn't cover the fb with plastic before installing the T1-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Just to complicate it further, 2x6 fibreglass will get you r-19,
    I believe that R21 fiberglas is also available to fit a 5.5" (2x6) wall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I believe that R21 fiberglas is also available to fit a 5.5" (2x6) wall.
    I can confirm that R-21 fiberglass is available for 6" walls. That is what I used on my shop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Vapor barriers are a complicated and controversial subject, ... others will disagree!
    I agree with your first two points and don't have any disagreement at all with your scenarios. Up here, vapor barrier goes directly under the drywall inside the house. Period. But it introduces indoor air quality issues. Yours is the best idea for homes with both heating and air conditioning systems I have yet read. Carry on.

You might want to look at Rockwool Comfortbatt. It gives good insulation value, it is fire and water resistant, and does a great job of deadening sound.
    I did the same thing you are planning, furring out 2x4s to 2x6 studs and then insulated with Rockwool, before putting up drywall.
    Good luck on the project.

Yep, R-21 will also work in a 2x6 wall. We rarely use it though, for some reason it's uncommon in this area. Even the big box stores don't stock much of it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Betker View Post
    You might want to look at Rockwool Comfortbatt. It gives good insulation value, it is fire and water resistant, and does a great job of deadening sound.
    I did the same thing you are planning, furring out 2x4s to 2x6 studs and then insulated with Rockwool, before putting up drywall.
    Good luck on the project.
    This stuff is great, I was going to use it when I was insulating my shop last year but it was unobtanium.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

This thread sent me down a rabbit hole, of questioning my spelling and usage and the differences between furring and firring, whether you fir or firr something out or fur or furr it. This quote from Wikipedia seems to be accurate, if anyone else out there is pedantic enough to care:
    Interesting thanks!
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 05-26-2021 at 12:30 PM.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...