Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which Air Filtration is Better??

1. So what's the best plans for a diy filter that can hang from rafters? Did you all pay the $10 for the ShopHacks or just copied the design by looks?

Unless you're just trolling, you need to better define what you mean by "best". It's the old 'cost/size/performance: pick 2 or less' situation. Can't be best at everything. What's important to you?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post
    So what's the best plans for a diy filter that can hang from rafters? Did you all pay the $10 for the ShopHacks or just copied the design by looks?
    Mine is on based mainly on the Shop Hacks shootout. To David's point, it would be hard for anyone to say which is best for you. This is due to variables such as shop size/ceiling height, existing collection and tools to name a few....there also your budget. In my case, I do not trust flashy articles. I do not mean to offend because folks try to help, BUT I have low trust in forums. I normally collect my own data, put pen to paper and if cost is prohibitive, I prototype.

The upside is you have a lot of great data in this thread. I can say, I have been able to corroborate 90% of everything the Shop Hacks article states regarding furnace filters.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Two additional bits and some thoughts:

1. We've had "poor" outdoor air quality in my town for weeks.....pollen has been terrible with zero rain. After 2" of rain yesterday it's listed as "excellent". AQI 2.5 is officially listed at 10 which my Dylos DC1100 Pro confirms.

2. I learned a substantial amount of outdoor air enters my shop (with it's single window closed) when my dual stage/outside vented DC is running....learned this when performing CO safety testing.

Shops pull in outside air (breathe) so can we assume the devices we use to measure PM counts are measuring a cocktail that may NOT contain large amounts of wood dust? Should our personal baseline for when to vs when to NOT wear a respirator be based on daily outdoor air quality reports? Rhetorical questions of sort....but could a relatively straight fwd Excel formula that pulled daily outdoor air reports and calculated personal baseline help answer the question.
    Last edited by fred everett; 06-12-2021 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Quote Originally Posted by fred everett View Post
    1. We've had "poor" outdoor air quality in my town for weeks.....pollen has been terrible with zero rain. After 2" of rain yesterday it's listed as "excellent". AQI 2.5 is officially listed at 10 which my Dylos DC1100 Pro confirms.
    Do you use the Dylos method of estimating PM2.5 values from your particle counts or have you found a better way?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Do you use the Dylos method of estimating PM2.5 values from your particle counts or have you found a better way?
    What is the Dylos method?

I just use another meter in my house that reads PM 2.5

And we have another Saharan sandstorm heading this way. Last time that happened it was very impressive how much the readings went up on the Dylos. And Red Tide. Oh joy!! 😤
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

7. Thanks guys, I just have a small, 11x15 shop. ANY kind of work fills the shop with crap so I need to build something to clean the air. I was just asking about what might be the best design. And David, I don't troll

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    What is the Dylos method?

I just use another meter in my house that reads PM 2.5

And we have another Saharan sandstorm heading this way. Last time that happened it was very impressive how much the readings went up on the Dylos. And Red Tide. Oh joy!! 😤
    The Dylos method subtracts the large particle count from the small count and divides by 100, as described here.

So you do have a PM sensor. I thought you said you confirmed the official PM using your Dylos. My mistake.
    Beranek's Law:

The Dylos method subtracts the large particle count from the small count and divides by 100, as described here.

So you do have a PM sensor. I thought you said you confirmed the official PM using your Dylos. My mistake.
    I have both. The Dylos resides in my workshop, and the other PM sensor lives upstairs in my den.

I'll look at both of these in the upcoming week, as it's impressive how much the PM2.5 rises with one of those dust storms coming across the Atlantic and depositing on the Gulf Coast.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 06-12-2021 at 3:04 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Thanks guys, I just have a small, 11x15 shop. ANY kind of work fills the shop with crap so I need to build something to clean the air. I was just asking about what might be the best design. And David, I don't troll
    Sorry about that, as usual I forgot the emoji. Just having some fun with "What's the best...". It's such a classic way to start a fight.

For the size of your shop one or a clone of the units that the Clarence brought up in the original post would likely be a good choice. At only 10" high it should be easy to find a space for it.

A box fan with the right filter could also give good performance but at 20" square it's not as easy to keep it out of the way.
    Beranek's Law:

The Dylos method is all I have.
    Thanks,
    Fred

12. Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Sorry about that, as usual I forgot the emoji. Just having some fun with "What's the best...". It's such a classic way to start a fight.

For the size of your shop one or a clone of the units that the Clarence brought up in the original post would likely be a good choice. At only 10" high it should be easy to find a space for it.

A box fan with the right filter could also give good performance but at 20" square it's not as easy to keep it out of the way.

NO worries David, and I really appreciate the advice! I had not realized how important it was to have something like this in addition to my dust collection.

NO worries David, and I really appreciate the advice! I had not realized how important it was to have something like this in addition to my dust collection.
    I'll throw in my 2 cents and say I agree, but the ability to test/monitor is also very important.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Interestingly, I happened to watch an episode of Ask This Old House. In it, they built a fan enclosure with four 20"x20"x2" MERV 13 filters and placed it over a 20" fan. Their enclosure consisted of duct taping the filters together with cardboard on the bottom. So an even cheaper method, but certainly not a durable one.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/green-h...diy-air-filter
    Ask This Old House DIY Air Filtration.jpg

I actually may build one of these for kicks and place it next to my wide belt sander. If I do, I'll definitely post the air quality results vs time. I can place it on top of the Felder jointer. It's the typical horizontal spot where I put junk. I'll have to remove the crap. Not a bad idea anyway.

I went and measured my shop today. It's actually only 13,000 cu ft. So estimated the CFM using the formula that David suggested, yields around 1458 CFM for the Jet 2000 with the added two stacked MERV13 filters. I think that calculates to 6.7 room exchanges/hr with just the Jet 2000 running. With both the Jet 1000B and the Jet 2000 going, those numbers should be much better. Maybe I'll test that in a few days to see what that calculates to (probably with David's help needed.)
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-01-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Going to resurrect this thread with a few upcoming posts. My four 20x20x2" MERV 13 air filters are supposed to come in today. I'm going to take the quick duct tape route and build a box like the above and test out this setup compared to the Jet 2000 with MERV13 filters, and the Jet 1000B with MERV13 filter.

Of note, I added a MERV13 filter to my present Jet 1000B EXHAUST side. Really quiets down the system, but because it appears to significantly reduce CFM. I'm going to also test some before / after particle counts of that modification, but I believe it hurts, not helps with the speed of reducing airborne particles.

One positive note, is that with the three air cleaners going, I'd imagine I will get a substantial number of air exchanges per hour. Hmmmm.... maybe I can do some surgery in my workshop. Anyone have an extra appendix or tonsils they are tired of.