Thread: Upgrading Lathe

Upgrading Lathe

I’m pretty new to turning (since November) Looking for advice to point me in the right direction. I’m trying to decide on a new lathe, an upgrade from the full size harbor freight, I was looking at the jet 1221 or the nova comet 14 dr the comet comes as a bundle with a g3 and curved tool rest also has a 14 inch swing. I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these lathes I have been mainly turning bowls.
    Thanks !

I owned the Nova Comet II which had a 12" swing. I recently upgraded to a Powermatic 3520C with a 20" swing. It's unclear from your post what your intent is with regard to a "full-size" lathe. For bowls, and if you feel that this lathe may be a tool you'd used far into the future, I would get a lathe with a much larger swing than 12" or 14". While 20" might be more than you will ever use, something larger than 14" might be a good idea. I turn bowls almost exclusively and feel that the excess capacity of 20" on my new lathe is justified even if I'm turning much smaller bowls than that. It's just more stability for the smaller bowls and, I feel, safer, as the diameter grows.

I do not have experience with either of those models, but I am on my 4th lathe so may have some suggestions. I would suggest maybe looking for a used lathe. Most lathes won't wear out, the bearings might need replacement but not much else. What you want to watch is the strength of the lathe along with the weight.
    I make a variety of items from bowls to 60" chair legs. To give you an idea, I have a Jet 1642 with an 18" bed extension. If turning a bowl over 16", I have a sliding headstock so I can do it off the end of the lathe. There's room for a weighted shelf on it if needed which I have a storage shelf to reside. The bed extension can be removed for space and added back to do long legs.
    My best advice is make a list of what you want to do, try and find machines that look possible then ask about others that have that unit. Good luck

I am also kind of new to turning, I don't think either of those lathes would be a good upgrade from what you have now. I have the Jet 1221 and it is a good midi/mini lathe. I have turned a few bowls, small ones are fine but larger/heavier bowls are a real challenge. It is a fine lathe for what it is, but just does not have the weight, size or hp to turn anything large or heavy. I am keeping my eyes open for a good used full size Laguna, PM or other nice lathe.

I had the Nova Comet II and got an early release Nova Comet 14 to try when they came out. After a week, the problems were such that I returned it and ended up buying a Rikon 70-220 VSR and have not regretted it. I have had a Powermatic 3520B since 2007 so am familiar with the advantages of the larger lathe for strength, balance, and doing larger work. I do find that I will often use the Rikon when the work is balanced and within the 12" D capacity. I do not advise the Comet 14 for larger work. I found the 12" Comet II had a stronger banjo and better within its capacity. Nova did not do a full test and design of the Comet 14 and some new features should not have been used in my opinion based on experience and engineering background. OK for pens and small work. I am reaching the age when it will be time to cut back and I can see doing a lot of work 12" and smaller on the Rikon when I give up the Powermatic (hopefully 5 to 10 years away).