Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recommendations for beading

recommendations for beading

I'd like to put a smallish bead on edges sometimes - I have the Veritas small plow and could get those blades although I'm waiting until July in that case. Has anyone used those? Otherwise looks like I can overpay on eBay for some wooden versions? LN and veritas beading tools are out of stock for who knows how long.

What about making your own scratch stock? Here's a thread on how to do it: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....hoto-Tutorial)

Blog Entries
    Thomas, The answer to this depends on how big of a bead you want to make. My recollection is the Veritas Small Plow Plane is limited in the size of beading blade it can support.

You might be able to use a beading blade made for other planes. My review of the VSPP mentions this option > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419

Making your own beading tool is not that difficult. Search > scratch stock < to find various articles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

hmmmm...Stanley No. 45 had about any size bead cutter you could want....
    Gazebo Table, aprons, bottom bead.JPG

Been using mine a lot, lately....

The absolute easiest way to put a bead on the edge of a board is with a dedicated molding plane.

I have the Veritas small plow. I bought the 3 beading blades thinking I would use them more than I have. Not many of my projects call for beading, but I used them on a couple of things a while ago. I recall practicing on pieces of scrap wood before using them. The LN and Stanley 66 beaders show up on eBay fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I'd like to put a smallish bead on edges sometimes - I have the Veritas small plow and could get those blades although I'm waiting until July in that case. Has anyone used those? Otherwise looks like I can overpay on eBay for some wooden versions? LN and veritas beading tools are out of stock for who knows how long.
    Hi Thomas

I wrote a pictorial on using the Small Plow for beading: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...dingPlane.html

A plough plane is vulnerable to tearout when using beading blades owing to the absence of a mouth. The main strategy I used in this article (which I had not come across elsewhere) was to add a 15 degree backbevel to create a 60 degree cutting angle. This seems to aid in controlling tearout very well.

Here is a test bead both with- and against the grain ...

Edit to add: adding a bead to a frame: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...atchStock.html

The safest method of making a bead is using a scratch stock. One can either make one - this is really a simple tool - or purchase one, such as from Veritas. The reason they work so well is that they are scrapers, in other words, very high cutting angled planes. Again, this is needed when cutting a bead since many woods are not perfectly straight-grained. In an ideal world, one would only use/choose straight-grained wood.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-21-2021 at 9:03 PM.

I have the Lie Nielsen Beading tool that I'll sell. If you're interested, PM me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have the Lie Nielsen Beading tool that I'll sell. If you're interested, PM me.

Mike
    That is something to jump on Thomas.

My Stanley #66 beader comes in handy at times. The LN followed the design of the Stanley.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the LN #66 beader, and it is a fabulous tool. It replaced a Stanley #66 - frankly, not really an upgrade in function, just in construction/looks.

The blades for the LN are very similar to those from Veritas. The LN are thicker (good) but the arrises are wider (not so good). The wider arris creates a wider groove, which is less aesthetic. So I use the Veritas blades in the LN.

An alternative to the #66 is the Veritas caste scratch stock, which is a copy of a Preston. I have a review here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tchStock2.html

The LN is a solid, powerful tool. The Veritas uses more finesse.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you'll use it a lot I'm sure the LV or L-N ones are better, but...

Woodcraft carries a Hock Scratch Stock for $32. I assume you can get it from Hock directly and probably other vendors. (Or, it's pretty simple. You could look at the pictures and make one, using some saw plate, an old scraper, or some sheet steel as a blade blank.)

If you want to make one from scratch I have three otherwise hopeless sawplates laying around my shop. The only reason I kept them is to "someday" make custom shaped scrapers from them. You can probably find a hopeless saw local to you in Texas for less than shipping from my place in Alaska, but if you strike out drop me a message, I will let you have one free if you pay shipping on it, probably 20-25 bucks.

FWIW I have the Veritas small plow with all Imperial blades on backorder myself, only two months to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The absolute easiest way to put a bead on the edge of a board is with a dedicated molding plane.
    + 1 on Tom's recommendation.

Stanley 45 bead cutter.JPG
    Too many forget that Stanley MADE a decent plane system, that all you needed to buy was the cutters..
    Stanley 45 bead cutters.JPG
    In fact, the basic Stanley 45 came with a set, of both straight and bead cutters....
    Stanley 45 bead cutter plane 1.JPG
    They are NOT that hard to set up.....
    Stanley 45 planes.JPG
    I like them so well, I have 2.....one mainly for dados, the other a more general appl.

You can go on that auction site right now....and buy cutters by the box full......and..YES..they do indeed work with the modern knock-off versions....ps: Cutters for the Record version also work just fine.....haven't heard about the cutters Sargent supplied with their version.....notches are a bit different....

Check out this