Thread: Is this Shellac?

Is this Shellac?

Hi, I'm wanting to get a few opinions:

We picked up this dresser on Craigslist and the top is in bad shape. Looks like a well made factory piece from the 50's or 60's. I'm hoping to just refinish the top because the rest is in really good shape. I'm thinking it's maybe an amber shellac, but I wanted to get some other opinions. TIA!!

IMG_1013.jpgIMG_1012.jpg

The way to determine if it's shellac is to take some DNA and wipe it with some on a rag. If the denatured alcohol dissolves it, then it's most like shellac.

If the DNA doesn't dissolve it, I would repeat the previous process using lacquer thinner.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I think it’s probably lacquer, but either would be easy to remove.
    P.S. I always enjoy seeing you and “mini-me” !

I agree; most likely lacquer. Ken's description of how to determine which will tell you. In any case, it's got to come off so it doesn't really matter much. I would strip it off, sand it, and then apply a new finish. Getting the color to match likely is going to be a challenge. Dye + clearcoat would be my approach based on the photos. Having something to try it on first w/o it showing is going to be a challenge unless the top comes off and you can use the underside as your test panel.

John

Hello everyone! Thanks for the collective wisdom. Looks like I'll be headed to the store after work.

The mini-me is now 15 and has particular opinions about the furniture in her room...

David, thanks for that up-date ! And if you take a poll ,I’m sure the result will be “give her whatever she wants!” All the best to you and your
    family !