Thread: What wood for Coffee grinder

What wood for Coffee grinder

I am going to make a coffee grinder by using one of the hardware kits form Rockler. What are good species of wood for this project?

I don't know if it's suitable--but every time i look at that hardware i think of the symmetry of using Kentucky Coffee Tree.
    earl

Are there any woods that you would not use?

My only thought would be to avoid light colored wood. I have a multi species cutting board that I pour my Melita coffe on and it has overflowed at times. It has a salad bowl finish on it and it shows a color wher the coffee has been on it. That's all I got.

Beech is commonly used for cooking treen, because it does not impart any flavors of its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Curtis View Post
    I am going to make a coffee grinder by using one of the hardware kits form Rockler. What are good species of wood for this project?
    For any wood in contact with food I like to use wood with fine grain: dogwood, maple, olivewood, etc.

It is said that all wood finishes, when properly and fully cured, are food safe. That being the case, a good varnish or water-based topcoat would seem to make just about any wood usable. Once encased in the finish, I'm not sure that the wood could affect the coffee.

Wonder if Mesquite would be a good choice? Black coffee with a hint of mesquite, well there's a guy at work who uses those K cups that has pecan in it.