Thread: Record Vise Quick Release Trigger Spring

Record Vise Quick Release Trigger Spring

I snapped the hooked end off of my quick release spring last night. Does anyone know where I might be able to source a replacement?

Also wondering if anyone has fabricated an alternative solution? The vise is pretty important to all my hand tool projects. I was thinking about trying the bend the end and make it slightly tighter but I’m not sure how long that would last with the added stress. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I was thinking about trying the bend the end and make it slightly tighter but I’m not sure how long that would last with the added stress. Thanks!

This has worked for me many times. Make sure there isn't a sharp edge near the mounting area to cause the spring to break.

Pliers like these > https://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Jew.../dp/B000SNBC74 < are helpful for this kind of work. This is not an endorsement of this particular pair or vendor. It is simply the first pair found with a Googling of > round nose pliers <

My father gave me one pair that is older than me. Another larger pair came my way. They both come in handy.

They are also called jewelry pliers and likely a few other names.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I think I’ll give it a shot. No luck so far finding a replacement. The spring has a small cutaway and then just takes a 1/8in bend on the inside. I’m estimating because I have no idea where the small piece is it’s flew across the room.

8926A1FE-E4D5-4349-9CAF-47846A76221C.jpgCBF553F2-56AF-4DA4-B2C7-1B265D927879.jpg

Blog Entries
    Not sure about the brand of your vise or the one in this post > https://www.instructables.com/Wood-v...k-release-fix/ < a hack fix like this might help get yours back in service if fixing the spring doesn't.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, that’s a good find. Thanks again for the reply. I also found this:https://youtu.be/ZP6kONVtqOY

Fortunately, I was able to purchase a replacement. Hopefully this won’t happen again but if it does and there aren’t any parts available these are good options.

I wonder if a section of a drill press quill return spring could be made to work. You might have to temper the ends of it to make the bends, but the general style of spring is right.....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--