Thread: Any problem using a bigger winch than I need?

Any problem using a bigger winch than I need?

I have a 350 pound boat hoist with a 80 pound rowing shell on it. All the hardware is worn out and has to be replaced.
    I can get a 350 winch for $85 or a 800 pound hoist for $60.
    Any compelling reason not to save $25?

https://www.amazon.com/Dutton-Lainso...s%2C173&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

The larger the capacity of the winch, usually the slower it goes. For a rowing shell/kayak/other similar load, I would go with speed over way overrated capacity. For those, I really like a multi-purchase line and block system with a cleat.

Blog Entries
    Go for the less expensive unit. Looking at them it appears they are the same unit with the 800 lb. unit having a larger spool and support bolt.

It is also likely to have a higher reduction ratio.

It also says a minimum load is needed for the brake to work properly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I asked the manufacturer. Their reply was that they were pretty much the same thing, except for physical size. That vaguely suggests that the cheaper one is okay if it fit. I guess.

The bigger one has a higher gear ratio, but also a larger drum. I think the two pretty much balance out.

yes get the bigger one

on ebay:

bwinch.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The size doesn't affect anything. I will go with the big cheap one.
    Of course... the winch is working just fine now. I will buy a replacement anyhow because it has broken twice and I jerry-rigged it; next time I probably won't be able to.

Harbor Freight mike be worth look at, they have 3 less than $30 to compare. 900 lbs tp 2000 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    Harbor Freight mike be worth look at, they have 3 less than $30 to compare. 900 lbs tp 2000 lbs
    I agree, just be careful...I found out the hard way the other day that one of their units doesn't have a positive brake/pawls and it was the one with the capacity I wanted. I took it back and then went to Tractor Supply. They had a nice unit with the capacity I wanted, albeit for a bit more money than HFT. Got home and discovered they don't supply the cable and hook with it and they also don't sell them, either. Took it back. Ordered from Amazon for a "more HFT" like price and with the capacity I wanted with the brake/pawls and all the necessary parts to make it a working winch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree, just be careful...I found out the hard way the other day that one of their units doesn't have a positive brake/pawls and it was the one with the capacity I wanted. I took it back and then went to Tractor Supply. They had a nice unit with the capacity I wanted, albeit for a bit more money than HFT. Got home and discovered they don't supply the cable and hook with it and they also don't sell them, either. Took it back. Ordered from Amazon for a "more HFT" like price and with the capacity I wanted with the brake/pawls and all the necessary parts to make it a working winch.
    Re the Tractor Supply part I can kind of see the logic for not supplying cable - buy what you need, not what we give you. They should make clear on the packing that cable is not included.